Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XServe EFI firmware 1.2 fails

I have an XServe 3,1 (late 2009) running 10.7 where the EFI firmware update fails repeatedly - and as a result is offered every single time the software update is run. I wanted to resolve the problem before updating to 10.8 - and finally Apple repsonded to my bug report that there is a missing file:

/usr/bin/ipmitool

Because my other Xserve is a 2,1 hardware running 10.6.8 and it has the file; I did a clean install of 10.6 on my Xserve3,1 (install DVD). Then I upgraded to 10.6.8 (software upgrade).

Then I copied the file from my other Xserve2,1 using SCP to the remote Xserve3,1:

scp /usr/bin/ipmitool sysadmin@10.1.1.2:/

then I went on the Xserve3,1 and corrected the ownership and moved it to the final location

sudo chown root:wheel ./ipmitool

sudo mv ./ipmitool /usr/bin

After copying the file (/usr/bin/ipmitool) from the XServe 2,1 (10.6.8) to the XServe3,1 (10.6.8) the Xserve EFI firmware update (located in /Applications/Utilities) runs fine; and the EFI firmware is now updated to v1.2.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), PEGASUS R6 peripheral

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:50 AM

2 replies

May 9, 2013 3:34 PM in response to ClassicII

i Have about 10 Xserve 3,1 and they all are running mountain lion 10.8.3. and on all of them i keep getting the Xserve EFI Firmware Update 1.2 but it doesnloads then i go to utilities folder and double click it and it restarts like it should but it never updates the firmware it just reboots and comes back on and tells me to update again does anyone know how to fic this in 10.8 thanks!

XServe EFI firmware 1.2 fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.