Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminders.app looses focus (on sync?)

Hi,

i wonder if i'm the only one having this problem just because i can't find anything like that using google or the discussion search here.

I basically like the Reminders.app on Mac OSX and iOS (yes i know there's much apple could do here but it's doing what i need) but i have a big bug/problem that makes it nearly unusable.

I have around 5 lists where two of them are shared. additionally i do sync the lists via iCloud to my iOS devices. Basically everything works but when entering new reminders within the Mac OSX App on a shared list (only!) reminders app looses the focus/cursor every now and then and you can't enter your stuff anymore. You have to reclick on the line and get the cursor back in and if you have bad luck you loose it right after that again - sometimes it takes about 20 secs, sometimes it's faster. Looks like there's a special sync/sharing going on that breaks everything.

anyone else having that issue or is it probably something special on my site like another app colliding?

It's a weird problem that makes the reminders nearly unusable for me because i use the shared lists a lot and it's one of the reason for me to use reminders.app and not any 3rd party software.

Thanks for helping,

Frank

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:38 PM

12 replies

Dec 7, 2012 8:55 AM in response to Helmi74

Hi Frank,

I can confirm the problem. I use Reminders on both iOS and the Mac, and under Mountain Lion it has a very nasty 'focus' bug, where either the entry will stop accepting input while you're typing (so if you type "buy milk" it might loose focus after you've typed "buy m"). iOS does not have this problem.

It also looses focus before you start typing, so a new entry will be removed for being empty while I've not yet started typing.

This makes the program virtually unusable, since the problem will crop up within 1 to 3 entries if you type fast. I'm suprised so few people seem to encounter this problem, since it is absolutely 100% persistent on my set-up.

As an aside, Reminders also has an annoying way of registring when you want to type more after the entry looses focus. You would expect that clicking anywhere beyond the last character in the line will jump the edit cursor to the last character in the line so you can continu typing (this is default behaviour for any text editor or notes apps and any other to do list).

I use Omnifocus en Omnioutliner professionally, but like reminders on iOS and if fixed for Mac OS for simple shopping lists.

Harold

Feb 18, 2013 2:19 AM in response to HRdG

Follow Up,

Checked on a second computer at home that hasn't been linked to my iCloud account yet. Without being logged in the Reminders app functions as expected. It doesn't 'lose' focus when entering reminders.

After logging into iCloud the Reminders app starts to behave erraticaly, losing focus a few seconds after you start typing. So the problem seems to be related to syncing. Since so few people seem to have this problem, and the people that do 'always' have this problem crop up, it seems to be related to the particulars of a specific account...

Harold

Mar 2, 2013 9:38 AM in response to Helmi74

I'm having the same issue as well.

You are probably right, it appears to be related to iCloud sync. I notice the problem happens to me a lot more when I'm connected to the network. It is very annoying. I like it syncing with iCloud as then I can see my reminders in my iPad. But using the app on osx is just a miserable user experience. =/

Mar 9, 2013 5:06 PM in response to Eric Root

I gave up with the reminders app. I happened to purchase an app called BusyCal since it had all the nice features apple took away from iCal. With it came integrated reminder management which does just what I need and it's right in the calendar app where I find it to be the most useful.

No longer have a need for the broken reminders app!

Reminders.app looses focus (on sync?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.