Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop automatic spell "correction" in search window?

Hi

Often when I search for unusual expressions, only the first search result is found, then the automatic spell correction modifies the expression in the search window and no further search results are shown. How can I disable this automatic behaviour?

Many thanks!!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:43 AM

11 replies

Nov 29, 2012 5:41 AM in response to coxorange

Then I think it might be a corrupt preference plist or Pages having major problems.

First restart the computer if you haven't don that lately. Then while Pages is not started delete the com.apple.iwprk.pages.plist from the Users Library. Hold down the Option key when you in the Finder click on the Go menu. You'll get the option Library in the menu then. Choose Library and then Preference older to find the plist file.

Or use the free EasyFind from http://www.devontechnologies.com/download/products.html

Nov 29, 2012 6:41 AM in response to coxorange

I can't duplicate your problem, but I am running an older system. There are also some text substitution settings in System Preferences under Language & Text, but they don't work in either the Find… or Search functions for me; maybe Mountain Lion changed something.

Perhaps you could clarify one thing: you ask about what happens in the search window, but Search doesn't have a window, it is a sidebar on the main window. Find… has a separate window, and the behavior you describe sounds more like something that could happen there. If you could clarify which one you are using it might help point someone in the right direction.

Nov 29, 2012 6:41 AM in response to fruhulda

Thanks, I will try this. Before I do - can you tell me which settings I will lose by deleteing the com.apple.iwprk.pages.plist so I could make a note of the corresponding settings for re-establishing them afterwards.

Or use the free EasyFind fromhttp://www.devontechnologies.com/download/products.html

I already have it (App Store) but I can't see how it could help me with searching positions inside a pages file...?

Nov 29, 2012 6:47 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

Jeff Shenk wrote:

you ask about what happens in the search window, but Search doesn't have a window, it is a sidebar on the main window. Find… has a separate window, and the behavior you describe sounds more like something that could happen there. If you could clarify which one you are using it might help point someone in the right direction.

Sorry!! I meant "find" - not "search". I'm always using cmd+F, so I haven't looked in the menus.

Nov 29, 2012 7:23 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

Jeff Shenk wrote:

It might be interesting to check whether the same thing happens with Search (from the View menu or the view button on the toolbar).

No, it doesn't happen when using Search from the View menu. I think it's because you get the results instantly there - without pressing a button in a dialog box.

As I wrote, the first search via "find" makes no problem - the automatic correction happens afterwards when continuing the search.

How to stop automatic spell "correction" in search window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.