Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a wifi ipad mini be upgraded to use 4g later ?

I want to get my boyfriend an ipad mini for Xmas. He isn't sure he wants anything more than wifi right now.

I want to find out if I can buy an ipad mini that he can uses on wifi, can he later sign up with AT&T to get a data plan to use it on the 4g network ?

Or do I have to purchase the ipad through AT&T now and pay the data plan ?

iPad

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:18 AM

1 reply

Nov 29, 2012 12:35 PM in response to ShiloL

It is not possible to upgrade an iPad to cell capability internally. The only way to get cell capability in a WiFi-only iPad is to either get a MiFi device - for AT&T see:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/novatelwireless/mobile-hotspot-mifi-lib erate-graphite.html#fbid=D27kM6CaF7R

or tether the iPad through a cellphone with tethering capabilities. If you think your boyfriend might want cell capabilities in the iPad at some future time, you'll want to purchase the WiFi+Cellular model now. Cell plans are all month-to-month in US-sold iPads - there are no long-term contracts - so he can sign up at any time, and cancel at any time.

Regards.

Can a wifi ipad mini be upgraded to use 4g later ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.