Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlists not updating on iMac iTunes?

Hello.

Just updated to iTunes 11.

When syncing with my iPhone 4S the first time, there popped up a few times a warning saying (something like) 'Unable to find library', and an error notice. I clicked it off as iTunes had been a bit buggy recently. I didn't click the 'never show again' notice, but it hasn't come up since the first start of iTunes 11.

However, now when playing songs on the computer, the play count doesn't up-date any more and the 'Recently Played' list doesn't contain the song I just played.

If I play a song on the iPhone and then sync, it up-dates the play count and everything (including where the song had got to when I pressed pause).

As a lot of the music I play is from playlists based on play counts (for example, all songs played only once, before a certain date), and I don't just play music on the iPhone, but a lot on the computer, this is fairly important information to have updated.

I don't really think it has anything to do with the iPhone, but the iTunes playback through the computer.

Any ideas - thanks.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:29 PM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2012 1:03 PM in response to Steve Denton

I wish I could offer a solution to your problem, but all I can tell you is that it's happening to me, too.

In fact, I can't get ANY of my songs in any playlist (or in the main library, for that matter) to update its play count or "last played" data.

This seems like a much too ridiculous problem to be related to a simple programming bug. I'm at a loss.

Nov 29, 2012 1:22 PM in response to Josh Alkire

Sorry to hear that, Josh.

I'm reasonably glad it seems to be a bug - as I see you have replied to someone else with the problem - and not something (unique) I have done wrong. It might be that others will pop up with the same problem and Apple will fix it soon. Can but hope.

As I said, my iPhone seems to up date the play numbers, just not the computer. Will have to play tunes through the iPhone/computer speakers for a while.

Makes you wonder first who checks these things before they're released. Second, what the **** were they doing in the month this was delayed. Third, who forgot the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' maxim?

Still, I broke my 'don't up-date immediately, let others find the bugs first' rule. That'll teach me!

Playlists not updating on iMac iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.