Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand is not recording or showing a track

I've created a new voice project in GarageBand, but when I click the record button, it isn't recording, nor is it showing a track being laid down. Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks so much!

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:43 PM

11 replies

Nov 29, 2012 7:23 PM in response to jamifrommn

jamifrommn wrote:

..., it isn't recording .... nor is it showing

You have to be more specific about what "it" is. Are you clear on the basic concept of GarageBand and how to choose an input signal (the "it") to record?

Unfortunaelty, creating a track and click the record button is not whole story. There are a few more steps and concepts you have to understand first. Make sure you have that covered and let us know at what part you are stuck.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Nov 29, 2012 8:07 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply, Leonie! Yes, I selected "real instrument track" and that's what was happening--the cursor was moving but nothing was recording and there was not the usual purple-colored track appearing. I work as a voice-over artist and I've been recording voice-overs in GarageBand for over a year now, and have never had this problem before. I checked everything I could think of, including quitting the program and opening it again. Also tried just starting over with another "new project" but every time I hit "record" I got the same result. The funny thing is that after posting my question, I went back and hit "record" one more time and it suddenly worked! There's absolutely nothing that I had been doing differently. It's as if it just woke up and recognized the command all of a sudden. I'm wondering if this is something that others have run into after working in the program for awhile. Or if there's either a glitch I don't know about or some trick to jogging it that I don't know about. What if it happens again? Also, I'm wondering if perhaps I should delete old projects. Could that be bogging it down somehow?

Nov 29, 2012 8:22 PM in response to jamifrommn

First step of troubleshooting is to separate potential GarageBand issues with potential System issues.

Whenever you don't have any input signal in GarageBand (regardless what input, audio or MIDI), you have to check if your system receives the signal. If not, then the problem is not GarageBand.

Check your System Preferences Sound tab to see if OSX recognizes the input device (Mic, Line in, external interface) and if so see if you have an input signal (level meter in the System Preferences). MIDI is slighlty different but it is the same concept.

Only if OSX "sees" the audio device and you can see the signal on the System Preferences input meter, then you can move to GarageBand to check if it the signal "arrives" there.

If and so, and you checked everything in GarageBand and it is still not working, then use a different app (i.e. QuickTime Player) to see it you can record audio with that app. If that is the case, then you definately have a GarageBand issue and you can look into that further. For example, log in with a different user to rule out preferences file coruption.

As you can see, there are lots of checks you perform. Next time you run into that issue, try to find the problem and maybe you discovered a GarageBand bug after all. If so let us know.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Aug 1, 2015 10:56 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

I have the same issue with Garageband as well. In the last few days it stopped recording voice. I have completed all of the diagnostics and troubleshooting (including verifying internal mic input signal on the meter in sound/system preferences as well as through quicktime broadcaster). Everything worked perfectly. The only program that does not seem to record voice is Garageband. The purple bar shows that the track is in progress of being created but there is no sign of any received sound waves on the meter. When I do a playback there is nothing recorded. It's just a flat line from start to finish.

I have tried playing previously recorded voice tracks in old projects through Garageband and it plays them fine. However, when I attempt to record more on the project it shows the same problem.

Jun 29, 2016 3:34 AM in response to jamifrommn

Hi!

I had just had this problem and after fiddling around with it, I found my solution!!

Whenever I wanted to record my voice on Garageband, I would click the red button and the track would start playing but the playhead would stop. Then I realised that the 'loop' button was on, so I turned it off. After this it worked again! I turned on the loop button again to check if that was really the problem and turns out it was (because I had the tiniest part of the first bar selected to record the loops).

I know that not everyone would have had the same problem but I thought I would share what I found because I came here to look for a solution as well!!

Really hope this helped!

GarageBand is not recording or showing a track

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.