Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 double click to minimize

Hi guys,

Overall iTunes 11 offers some nice improvements, and the ability to have a bit of the 'legacy' functionality in allowing the sidebar to still be used etc. is great. Very glad I can configure it.

However.... I can no longer double click anywhere in the title bar or header for iTunes to minimize the application which is extremely frustrating as it breaks the pattern from EVERY other OS X application where you have the option to double click to minimize, and to minimize into the application icon.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or is this not possible until Apple puts this feature back in?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:21 PM

16 replies

Dec 8, 2012 1:50 PM in response to scarycall

I hope it's soon they fix it too - annoying me every time I forget and have to minimize it another way.

The default configuration of the machines in the Apple store is kind of annoying. I hope it wasn't an oversight or a cue towards simplification. In the store... the icons on the dock have no zoom at all, so one of the 'cool and defining' differences in OSX (IMO) is the dock behaviour and design with reflections etc. The applications all minimize to the right on the dock, instead of into their application icons and right click on the mouse setups is turned off, and the icons look messy on the right until you turn documents/downloads into display as folder. Makes things seem like a fisher-price toy a little bit until you customize it properly. I know a few people who weren't really liking OSX until a few of these options were turned on, and made a huge difference for them.

Anyways long story short.... let's get the functionality back Apple!

Dec 15, 2012 5:11 AM in response to kilima

@Kilima I assure you that the 48 people who liked codydhorner's post (and the thousands of other poeple that are thrown off by Apple taking away this functionanility), know how to use the 3 (irritating and ineffecient) buttons in the upper left corner of the program. We don't want a work around. We want the double click and minimize functionality restored. :-)

Feb 27, 2013 5:18 AM in response to codydhorner

I'm really bummed out that they still haven't fixed this UI issue or at least publically responded as to why the change was made. It's one of the major things that consistently bugs me when using itunes since I'm always switching between it and other windows to choose songs. I know the cmd-M option is there, but it's really not the same and totally breaks my workflow. Perhaps it's just a sign to look for better music player alternatives that are still able to care about the seemingly small issues that are important to a lot of users.

Apr 25, 2013 5:56 PM in response to codydhorner

This is an issue Apple needs to fix. It's a great feature and needs to be consistent across all programs. Address Book has the same issue. Shouldn't have to hunt for the little button when a simple double click does the trick. Love Apple, but this is symptomatic of the fundamental corporate flaws driving the stock into the ground.

Jan 4, 2014 8:07 PM in response to codydhorner

There is no way to minimize a playlist or work around it. This is why I was very reluctant to "upgrade" to iTunes 11. Naively, I was told I HAD to do it in order to continue using my ipad. I am so sorry I caved in! Apple employees are not savvy with minimizing playlists and creating new ones from several that are minimized. For example, you have 4 Sinatra albums opened you can pick and choose.

Not any more! Now this CLUNKY operating system forces you to go back and forth from A-Z to find the playlist and add to it. I hate it. Most of all, while the employees are very nice and professional most of them are part-time and have not worked there for a year. So they have no idea how iTunes 10 functioned. And none of them create playlists or have extensive libraries.

I am mostly mad at myself for giving in and downloading iTunes 11. I even tried to download iTunes 10 from PC World Magazine's "safe" link and that was a disaster. So I am stuck and will not be doing much here anymore. It's the only thing that was keeping me from buying a Samsung Galaxy 4 phone. Now I know they will not fix this important missing piece of the puzzle. I spoke with 5 high-tier technical advisors and none of them know what I am talking about! Very frustrating. I give up.

iTunes 11 double click to minimize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.