Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX: Understanding Events

I've made a few videos up to this point - may a dozen or slightly more. However, I bring in my photos from iPhoto. If I import videos they end up in the event section of FCPX. I have never understood what "events" are all about and now it is a mess. It seems every time I make a new video it needs an event - but why? I don't always use live footage in my videos and, as I mentioned, I bring in my photos from iPhoto.

I am seeing photos in Events that came in from iPhoto but I didn't put them in Events.

I'd love to delete all these events but I don't know what it will do to the videos I have already made.

Can someone please help explain what they are all about.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:54 PM

From the manual, our freind:

Events and clips overview

When you import video, audio, and still images, or record directly into Final Cut Pro, the source media files (your raw footage) appear as clips in one or more events in the Event Library. An event is similar to a folder that can hold dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of video clips, audio clips, and still images. Each event in the Event Library refers to a folder on your hard disk that contains the original source media files, any render files related to your media, and a database file that keeps track of where everything is.

When you select an event in the Event Library, the media it contains appears as clips in the Event Browser. You select clips or portions of clips in the Event Browser to work with them. You can sort clips in the Event Browser by creation date, as well as by date imported, reel, scene, clip duration, and file type.

Select an event The Event Browser displays in the Event Library. the clips in the selected event.

When you import video into a new event, you name the event. By giving your events meaningful names, such as “Smith Wedding 2011,” you can organize all of your media so that it’s readily accessible. By default, Final Cut Pro lists the events in the Event Library by the date they were recorded. You can organize the Event Library in other ways, and you can also hide the Event Library to give yourself more room to work. The Event Library is also the home for Final Cut Pro Keyword Collections and Smart Collections which provide a powerful way to organize your video editing projects using keywords and persistent search filters.

Copy or move clips between events

You can copy and move clips from one event to another. When you copy a clip from one event to another, the corresponding file is duplicated on disk. When you move a clip from one event to another, the corresponding file is moved from one event folder to the other on disk.

Note: When you import media into Final Cut Pro, you have the option to select the “Copy files to Final Cut Events folder” checkbox, which duplicates the source media files on your hard disk. If you import files with this checkbox deselected, Final Cut Pro creates reference files (file aliases) that simply point to the source media files without copying them. When you copy or move

clips between events, Final Cut Pro copies or moves the reference files only (not the source media files). If, after you have copied or moved the clips, you want to replace the corresponding reference files with the actual source media files, select the events and choose File > Organize Event Files. For more information about files and clips, see Media files and clips on page 17.

Al

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2012 4:54 PM in response to serenity99

From the manual, our freind:

Events and clips overview

When you import video, audio, and still images, or record directly into Final Cut Pro, the source media files (your raw footage) appear as clips in one or more events in the Event Library. An event is similar to a folder that can hold dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of video clips, audio clips, and still images. Each event in the Event Library refers to a folder on your hard disk that contains the original source media files, any render files related to your media, and a database file that keeps track of where everything is.

When you select an event in the Event Library, the media it contains appears as clips in the Event Browser. You select clips or portions of clips in the Event Browser to work with them. You can sort clips in the Event Browser by creation date, as well as by date imported, reel, scene, clip duration, and file type.

Select an event The Event Browser displays in the Event Library. the clips in the selected event.

When you import video into a new event, you name the event. By giving your events meaningful names, such as “Smith Wedding 2011,” you can organize all of your media so that it’s readily accessible. By default, Final Cut Pro lists the events in the Event Library by the date they were recorded. You can organize the Event Library in other ways, and you can also hide the Event Library to give yourself more room to work. The Event Library is also the home for Final Cut Pro Keyword Collections and Smart Collections which provide a powerful way to organize your video editing projects using keywords and persistent search filters.

Copy or move clips between events

You can copy and move clips from one event to another. When you copy a clip from one event to another, the corresponding file is duplicated on disk. When you move a clip from one event to another, the corresponding file is moved from one event folder to the other on disk.

Note: When you import media into Final Cut Pro, you have the option to select the “Copy files to Final Cut Events folder” checkbox, which duplicates the source media files on your hard disk. If you import files with this checkbox deselected, Final Cut Pro creates reference files (file aliases) that simply point to the source media files without copying them. When you copy or move

clips between events, Final Cut Pro copies or moves the reference files only (not the source media files). If, after you have copied or moved the clips, you want to replace the corresponding reference files with the actual source media files, select the events and choose File > Organize Event Files. For more information about files and clips, see Media files and clips on page 17.

Al

Nov 29, 2012 5:08 PM in response to serenity99

I think of events as the place where media gets organized. By creating folders (bins) based on certain attributes; assigning keywords (like wide shots, indoors, outdoors
whatever); great & not-so-great takes by marking ranges and designating favorites (or rejecting them
making notes). It may sound tedious, but is a huge advantage in wrapping one's mind around a complex (and/or large) project. Compared to other NLE's I've used, it's one of FCPX's main attractions.

serenity99 wrote:

I'd love to delete all these events but I don't know what it will do to the videos I have already made.

If you don't need to do anything more with a given project, you can delete it. It won't do anything to what you've already made (exported). But in the future, if you need to revisit that project, you may be able to reconstruct, but realistically, you'll probably need to start over. So consider archiving your projects if you're unsure and want to play it safe,

Russ

Nov 29, 2012 5:12 PM in response to serenity99

Just replace "Event" with "Folder". The thing to remember is that if you choose to import the file and check the 'Copy to Events folder" option (might not have the phrase exactly correct) it will, of course, copy the file into your Events folder. Later, if you choose to delete the item from your Event, it will also delete it from your hard drive (into the trash).

BUT...since you use iPhoto, you don't need to even to Import. You can just use the Photo Browser in the bottom right corner. The pics won't even show up in your Event Library. Just drag them onto the storyline. Done.

Nov 29, 2012 8:45 PM in response to serenity99

Coming from the standard "folder tree" and the "bins / clips" paradigm in legacy NLE's, I, too, had trouble wrapping my mind around the "events" structure. But, I came to understand it with some historical research.

Allow me to wax philosophic: (or just stop reading now)

In adopting "events," the FCPX engineers were following Apple's IOS convention with regard to their consumer electronic devices--i.e. iPods, iPads, and iPhones. (There is a school of thought that, in the future, OS and iOS will merge into one operating system.)

In iTunes, when we import a song, we are creating a file that will forever be seen as an "event" by the application--created on such-and-such a date, at such-and-such a time. That's the ONLY way the app sees it. Now, we--the user--may assign a song to our "favorites" playlist or to a "punk runk" playlist. But, those are ony labels as seen by us humans trying to organize everything. On a deeper level, the IOS ignores all those superficial labels. It keeps its eye on the original "event." When we drag the files around or push them to other devices, it stares soley at each "event."

Thus, in FCPX, when we create "keyword" lists or "favorites" or "smart folders," that is OUR way to organize the media. At the end of the day FCPX sees each file as a singular "event." We can move them, name them, stick 'em in folders, but FCPX still keeps track of the "event" as it was born into the system at a particular time.

The "events" structure also keeps us users focused on the interface, not the OS.

Unlike other NLE's, FCPX doesn't want us "looking under the hood" when it goes to copying files. In legacy NLE's, we were used to going to the Finder / HD to copy files from one folder to another or to drag them to an external HD.

Although we still have the option of doing it that way, FCPX would rather we do all the copying and such INSIDE the application. FCPX worries about where the files exist in the folder tree--again, as they relate to "events."

Nov 29, 2012 9:58 PM in response to dastoelk

Actually dastoelk, none of that is correct at all. But it does "sound" fancy. No, FCP X does not see every single file as an Event, that's just not true.

FCP X is built on Final Cut Server's Postgres database engine, which is now part of the OS itself as of Lion. Events, smart searches, keywords, etc, it's all directly from Final Cut Server and Events are directly from iMovie. None of it has anything to do with any other products.

We can get very under-the-hood with FCP X. Apple has left it very wide open for us. Your discription of legacy NLEs isn't really acurate. All pro NLE's have taken over media management in various incompetent ways before.

You can copy Events and Projects in the Finder all you want, nothing stopping you. But be aware we are working on top of the Final Cut Server database system. This will explain it a bit more.

http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/2012/11/ 16_Copy_Move_FCP_X_Events_%26_Projects.html

And this.

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/finalcutprox204-managing-media

FCPX: Understanding Events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.