Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can disk utility create multiple partitions on an external firewire drive with GUID map on one partition and Apple map on two other partitions?

Can disc utility create multiple partitions on an external firewire drive using a GUID map on one partition and the Apple map on the other two partitions?

I tried. After cloning my internal drive to the Apple mapped partition I tried an option key reboot and the three partitions never appeared, even though they were on the desktop. Changing startup drive in system system preferences to one of these partitions resulted in a blank screen. Had to power down and reboot.

I've successfully made a multiple partitian backup drive (same make and model), but all with the Apple mapping scheme.

Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:00 PM

No. You can only use one partition map at a time. Why do you need partitions using APM rather than GUID? What do you want to accomplish? You have an iBook G4, so you can only use APM.

4 replies

Nov 30, 2012 7:39 AM in response to Trygve Larsen

Since the backup drive had enough capacity, I had hoped to use it to backup two older machines that have software running on OS 9.2.2 from defunct suppliers. Canvas (OS X), won't run on Intel machines and MECA's Managing your Money still has some desirable features not available on Quicken. Other software which is 9.2 dependent is not used enough to warrant the additional expense to upgrade to OS X.

I do, however, have the other machines backed up to a different external drive. I was just hoping to consolidate them all together.

Nov 30, 2012 9:58 AM in response to Trygve Larsen

You would need to include an exact description of those other machines in your question. So far you have only mentioned a G4 and OS9 software, all of which only needs APM and won't work with GUID. Intel Macs are the ones using GUID but there are some workarounds if you must use an older drive with both generations of Macs.

Can disk utility create multiple partitions on an external firewire drive with GUID map on one partition and Apple map on two other partitions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.