Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dislike the way iTunes 11 handles TV Shows

I hate to be this sort of troll, especially since I love everything else about iTunes 11. However, my main reason for using iTunes is to manage my TV Shows so I can sync and stream them to iDevices and AppleTV.

A lot of what I have is ripped from DVDs, some is purchases through iTunes Stores.

My gripes are these:

- I spent a very long time sorting and reorganising my TV Shows to be in the right order. For example, Doctor Who was in perfect air order - Season 1-5, then the David Tennant Specials, then Season 6, then the Season 6 Christmas episode, etc. Since iTunes now groups all the seasons from one TV show together, and technically the specials are a different show, they are no longer in order. Same with Futurama, Family Guy, etc.

- My main iTunes library is connected to a 720p TV. The way the individual episodes are displayed now, it takes a long time to scroll through the episodes.

- I miss the individual album art for each season! I do like the idea of having all the seasons grouped together (as long as they can fix my first issue) - but iTunes only displays the first season's art. I would love if it would show the most recent album art, and then change the art in the episode viewer when you select the different seasons.

Those are my gripes... I'm sure I can live with them eventually, but I am disappointed with it. As I mentioned, I love everything else about it though!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:21 PM

13 replies

Nov 30, 2012 5:05 PM in response to JayWalker82

Totaly agree. iTunes 11 is a huge improvement over older versions but the TV season art work problem needs to be addressed.

I also had an issue with importing .mp4 or .m4v files, found that they would be imported to the Home Videos folder but they would not show up in iTunes under Home Video tab.

I had to restart iTunes 2 times before I could see the files in iTunes.

All in all, not bad for a major revision.

Nov 30, 2012 8:56 PM in response to JayWalker82

I agree about the album art for the individual seasons. I actually HATED that the old iTunes listed each season seperately and thus for shows that have 5, 10 or more seasons, they really ate up a chunk of space for no reason and didn't stay grouped together nicely. Now in iTunes 11 they fit together nicely (even if the lists are a tad long, they should have optional info so the list can be shorter, similar to the optional fields in the normal list view) and are organized pretty well except for the boring fact that it only uses the first seasons album art on the computer. The apple TV still uses each individual season so it's worth adding the art but it's annoying to not enjoy it on the computer.

I also agree it's annoying there's no good way to add in special episodes in order of air date without messing up the episode numbers.

Dec 11, 2012 1:37 PM in response to JasonOnMac

I've been using MetaX for 99% of video tags. Works FANTASTIC! I've been using subler to set HD tags.

I think apple is kind of back tracking on TV show artwork. It seemed like a dumb idea to have separate artwork for each season and list them separately as well to begin with. Now they've sensibly put all seasons together but we're still used to the multi-season artwork. We'll just have to get used to having 1 art per show again. like a movie or cd.

Dec 11, 2012 3:15 PM in response to JayWalker82

I just meant within iTunes itself. When you're browsing on the Apple TV, iOS, etc they're displayed by season so it works to have artwork distinguishing them. So it still makes sense to have artwork for each file for aesthetics but for sorting they'd all be under one show in iTunes. So one album art. In a perfect world it would switch artwork depending on which season you clicked but I don't think that makes it a bug or anything. I have shows that show up twice for the same content. That's a bug. I thought it was stupid that they used square artwork for TV shows instead of the 8x12 art for movies but its just a design choice apple made.

Jan 3, 2013 2:23 PM in response to JayWalker82

I haven't had this issue myself as I don't have any 'special episodes' in my library, but is this fixable using the Sort function? You can have all the correct information in the Info and Video panels then change the information under Sort to force iTunes into organising the files in your preffered way.

I do agree that the artwork is annoying and there is no reason I can see why it shouldn't be fixed!

Feb 26, 2013 6:24 AM in response to JayWalker82

With iTunes 11, the 1st season artwork was the default for both the mail view as well as when you expanded to show the episodes. When viewing the episode listing, regardless of the season, you'd see just season 1 art.

However, I just updated to iTunes 11.0.2 and there has been a change. Now, you see the MOST RECENT season's artwork in both views.

I dislike the way iTunes 11 handles TV Shows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.