Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing movies stopped working

Hi,

I have an iMac with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. and iMovie 11 (9.0.8)

Until a few days ago I have been able to import movies from my SONY HDR-SR7 videocamera.

Then it happened that during an import the Mac hang and I had to power it off.

After this operation the import operation doesn't work.

First thing I have done has been to visit a friend and check videocamera. I connected it to his iMac and iMovie was able to open the videocamera and shown the movies to be imported.

So came back home, reconnected the videocamera to my iMac and tried again.

The MassStorage device from the VC is mounted and I can browse trough it, all the movies and pictures are there.

IPhoto can open the videocamera and imported the pictures.

From iMovie, when I select Archivio->Import from Videocamera a new window is open for selecting the movies, in the lower part I have Videocamera: Sony Camcorder, but the window title is ISight Camera: Import from iSight Integrata.

I noticed that when I select Import from VideoCamera in the /var/log/messages file I have some error entries (I have attached them at the end)

I have tried to check the root filesystem and it found several hard link errors. So I booted in Recovery Mode and run the Repair procedure, that was successful.

After that the error was still present, so I reinstalled the Lion Os and reapplied all the latest update. Same error.

As last attempt I have tried to delete the iMovie installation and reinstalled iLife 11. Same problem.

Any suggestion? Any further check/thing to do?

Many thanks in advance

Giorgio

#######

Nov 25 21:55:19 computer-di-XXXXXX iMovie[1393]: An uncaught exception was raised

Nov 25 21:55:19 computer-di-XXX iMovie[1393]: sqlite3_step

Nov 25 21:55:19 computer-di-XXXXX iMovie[1393]: (

0 CoreFoundation 0x9093ca67 __raiseError + 231

1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x96c09149 objc_exception_throw + 155

2 CoreFoundation 0x908a4289 +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 137

3 CoreFoundation 0x908a41f9 +[NSException raise:format:] + 57

4 iMovie 0x0037ff77 iMovie + 2793335

5 iMovie 0x0037846e iMovie + 2761838

6 iMovie 0x0037783b iMovie + 2758715

7 iMovie 0x00377959 iMovie + 2759001

8 iMovie 0x00106958 iMovie + 199000

9 iMovie 0x0010126a iMovie + 176746

10 iMovie 0x000fd5e2 iMovie + 161250

11 iMovie 0x000fcda6 iMovie + 159142

12 Foundation 0x9af5d194 NSKeyValueNotifyObserver + 387

13 Foundation 0x9af7fbf1 NSKeyValueDidChange + 279

14 Foundation 0x9af2716d -[NSObject(NSKeyValueObserverNotification) didChangeValueForKey:] + 131

15 CoreFoundation 0x9087f3c9 _CFXPreferencesSetValue + 201

16 CoreFoundation 0x90883963 CFPreferencesSetAppValue + 51

17 Foundation 0x9af2c264 -[NSUserDefaults(NSUserDefaults) setObject:forKey:] + 97

18 Foundation 0x9afa6f3c -[NSUserDefaults(NSUserDefaults) setBool:forKey:] + 77

19 iMovie 0x000e69a5 iMovie + 68005

20 iMovie 0x0012385d iMovie + 317533

21 CoreFoundation 0x90891d11 -[NSObject performSelector:withObject:] + 65

22 AppKit 0x9b44b663 -[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:] + 232

23 iMovie 0x001279d0 iMovie + 334288

24 AppKit 0x9b53ecaf -[NSMenuItem _corePerformAction] + 536

25 AppKit 0x9b53e92c -[NSCarbonMenuImpl performActionWithHighlightingForItemAtIndex:] + 171

26 AppKit 0x9b53dfb5 -[NSMenu _performActionWithHighlightingForItemAtIndex:sendAccessibili tyNotification:] + 79

27 AppKit 0x9b819ef7 -[NSMenu performActionForItemAtIndex:] + 65

28 AppKit 0x9b819f2a -[NSMenu _internalPerformActionForItemAtIndex:] + 45

29 AppKit 0x9b81e15b -[NSMenuItem _internalPerformActionThroughMenuIfPossible] + 106

30 AppKit 0x9b684670 -[NSCarbonMenuImpl _carbonCommandProcessEvent:handlerCallRef:] + 172

31 AppKit 0x9b4b4246 NSSLMMenuEventHandler + 452

32 HIToolbox 0x94361c0c _Z22_InvokeEventHandlerUPPP25OpaqueEventHandlerCallRefP14Opa queEventRefPvPFlS0_S2_S3_E + 36

33 HIToolbox 0x941dd313 _ZL23DispatchEventToHandlersP14EventTargetRecP14OpaqueEventR efP14HandlerCallRec + 1602

34 HIToolbox 0x941dc790 _ZL30SendEventToEventTargetInternalP14OpaqueEventRefP20Opaqu eEventTargetRefP14HandlerCallRec + 482

35 HIToolbox 0x941f1571 SendEventToEventTarget + 76

36 HIToolbox 0x943620d0 _ZL18SendHICommandEventmPK9HICommandmmhPKvP20OpaqueEventTarg etRefS5_PP14OpaqueEventRef + 482

37 HIToolbox 0x9436213a SendMenuCommandWithContextAndModifiers + 70

38 HIToolbox 0x943cd98d SendMenuItemSelectedEvent + 275

39 HIToolbox 0x9422dd79 _ZL19FinishMenuSelectionP13SelectionDataP10MenuResultS2_ + 129

40 HIToolbox 0x943be88c _ZL14MenuSelectCoreP8MenuData5PointdmPP13OpaqueMenuRefPt + 608

41 HIToolbox 0x94225a2a _HandleMenuSelection2 + 636

42 HIToolbox 0x942257a9 _HandleMenuSelection + 53

43 AppKit 0x9b3b1bd2 _NSHandleCarbonMenuEvent + 302

44 AppKit 0x9b3424d6 _DPSNextEvent + 2196

45 AppKit 0x9b341752 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 113

46 iMovie 0x00125f3e iMovie + 327486

47 AppKit 0x9b33dac1 -[NSApplication run] + 911

48 AppKit 0x9b5ceac5 NSApplicationMain + 1054

49 iMovie 0x000d835a iMovie + 9050

50 iMovie 0x000d7ec5 iMovie + 7877

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:32 PM

Hi

Have no Sure idea - But I made a list on things that matters - may be some help here

NO CAMERA or A/D-box

Cable

• Are You sure that You are using the FireWire Cable - USB-Cable will not work for miniDV tape Cameras

FireWire - Sure not using the accompany USB-Cable but bought a 4-pin to 6-pin (or 9-pin) FW one ?

• Test another FW-Cable very often the problem maker.

Camera

• Test Your Camera on another Mac so that DV-in still works OK

• Toggle in iMovie pref. Play-back via Camera (on <-> off some times)

• Some Cameras has a Menu where You must select DV-out to get it to work

• Camera connected to "charger" (mains adaptor) - not just on battery

• Camera set in Playback mode - NOT Recording mode

Does Your Camera work on another Mac ?

Sorry to say it is to easy to turn the 6-pin end of the FW-cable 180 deg wrong.

This is lethal to the A/D-chip in the Camera = needs an expensive repair.

(Hard to find out - else than import/export to another Mac ceased to work

everything else is OK e.g. recording and playback to TV)

A/D-box

• Is the dip-switches set right ?

• Set to same standard as recorded/editing e.g. NTSC 29.97fps or PAL 25fps

• Try resetting it

Connections

• Daisy Chaining most often doesn’t work (some unique cases - it’s the only way that work (some Canon Cameras ?))

Try to avoid connecting Camera <--> external HD <--> Mac but import directly to the Mac then move

the Movie project to dedicated external hard disk.

• FireWire-port - Can be re-setted by - Turn off Mac and disconnecting Mac from Mains/Power for 20-30 minutes

External device’s (hard disk’s)

• Should be FireWire as USB/USB2 performs badly and so does Airport or Net-work connected ones too.

• MUST BE - Mac OS Extended formatted - UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - DO NOT WORK for video due to 4Gb barrier.

Mac

• Free space on internal (start-up) hard disk ? Please specify the amount of free space.

(Other hard disks don't count)

I go for a minimum of 25Gb free space for 4x3 SD Video - and my guess is 5 times more for 16x9 HD ones

after material is imported and edited. No Camera or A/D-box

• GarageBands fix - Close iMovie, Open GarageBand, Play some notes, Close GB and iMove can now be OK

• Does Your Mac have a FireWire Port

• White MacBooks - don't

• MacBook-Air - don't

if not then a few Mac’s has a PCM-CIA slot and there are FW-Cards that makes a FW-port this way

else - NO SOLUTION

Only option as I get it is either

• Use another Mac to Capture material (to an external USB2 - Mac OS Extended formatted hard disk - or -

• Change to another Camera that can be used with Your Mac (no there are no miniDV tape Cameras that can)

• If Your Mac-Book has a PCM-CIA Card place - then there are FW-port-Cards and then

You can import via this - but I've not seen this on more modern Macs. My PowerBook G4

has one and this FW-Card-port works greatly.

SoftWare

• Delete iMovie pref. file may help sometimes. I rather start a new account, log into this and have a re-try.

• Any strange Plug-ins into QuickTime as Perian etc ? Remove and try again.

• FileVault is off ? (hopefully)

• Screen Saver - OFF

• Energy Saver - OFF

Using WHAT versions ? .

• Mac OS - X.5.4 ?

• QuickTime version ? (This is the heart in both iMovie and FinalCut)

• iMovie’08 (7.1.?), 09 or 11 ?

• iMovie HD 6 (6.0.4/3) ?

Other ways to import Your miniDV tape

• Use another Camera. There where tape play-back stations from SONY

but they costed about 2-4 times a normal miniDV Camera.

• If Your Camera works on another Mac. Make an iMovie movie project here and move it

over to Your Mac via an external hard disk.

(HAS TO BE Mac OS Extended formatted - USB/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange WILL NOT DO)

(Should be a FireWire one - USB/USB2 performs badly)

from LKN 1935.

Hi Bengt W, I tried it all, but nothing worked. Your answer has been helpful insofar as all the different trials led to the conclusion that there was something wrong with my iMovie software. I therefore threw everything away and reinstalled iMovie from the HD. After that the exportation of DV videos (there has not been any problem with HDV videos) to my Sony camcorders worked properly as it did before. Thank you. LKN 1935

from Karsten.

in addition to Bengt's excellent '9 yards of advice' .. 😉

camera set to 'Play' , not rec/computer/etc.?

camera not on battery, but power-line?

did your Mac 'recognize' this camera before...?

a technical check.

connect camera, on, playback, fw-connected...

click on the Blue Apple, upper left of your screen ..

choose 'About . . / More . .

under Firewire.. what do you read . . ?

More

• FileVault - Secure that it’s turned off

• Network storage - DOESN’T WORK

• Where did You store/capture/import Your project ?

External USB hard disk = Bad Choice / FireWire = Good

If so it has to be Mac OS Extended formatted

----> UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange is NOT Working for VIDEO !

mbolander

Thanks for all your suggestions. What I learned is that I had a software problem. I had something called "Nikon Transfer" on my Mac that was recognizing my Canon camcorder as a still camera and was preventing iMovie from working properly. After un-installing Nikon Transfer and doing a reboot, everything worked great.

I never liked the Nikon Transfer software anyway--I guess I'll get a cheap card reader and use that to transfer photos in the future.

No Camera or bad import

• USB hard disk

• Network storage

• File Vault is on

jiggaman15dg wrote

if you have adobe cs3 or 4 and have the adobe bridge on close that

or no firewire will work

see if that helps

DJ1249 wrote

The problem was the external backup hard drive that is connected, you need to disconnect the external drive before the mac can see the video camera.

MaryBoog wrote

Maybe your problems is solved in the meantime, but for all others this might help as I had the same problem, also have the Sony HDR-HC7, but the 7e (Europe, PAL). I found this link today and it works perfectly

//support.sony-europe.com/tutorials/dime/videotransfer/vtransfer.aspx site=odw_en_GB&sec=DVH&m=HDR-HC7E

What I exactly did.- put camera in play mode - open guide - choose connection guide - choose comp./printer (where to transfer movie to) - select connection.- i-link (on my camera) but equal to firewire - OK - choose HDV - choose NO for conversion of i.link.

Settings are shown then (VCR HDV/DV.- HDV and i.link-conv..- OFF), press OK, OK, END.

Switch camera off. Connect firewire cable to camera & Mac. Switch camera on, in play/edit mode.

Open i-movie, choose import from camera. On screen below the camera connection is shown.- DV (HDV). Now you can import, automatically or manually.

This worked perfectly for me. Took me 2 days to find out. Could not find any clear thread explaining what I had to do on the camera and the manual was not clear either.

Yours Bengt W

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2012 11:32 PM in response to thegnappets

Hi

Have no Sure idea - But I made a list on things that matters - may be some help here

NO CAMERA or A/D-box

Cable

• Are You sure that You are using the FireWire Cable - USB-Cable will not work for miniDV tape Cameras

FireWire - Sure not using the accompany USB-Cable but bought a 4-pin to 6-pin (or 9-pin) FW one ?

• Test another FW-Cable very often the problem maker.

Camera

• Test Your Camera on another Mac so that DV-in still works OK

• Toggle in iMovie pref. Play-back via Camera (on <-> off some times)

• Some Cameras has a Menu where You must select DV-out to get it to work

• Camera connected to "charger" (mains adaptor) - not just on battery

• Camera set in Playback mode - NOT Recording mode

Does Your Camera work on another Mac ?

Sorry to say it is to easy to turn the 6-pin end of the FW-cable 180 deg wrong.

This is lethal to the A/D-chip in the Camera = needs an expensive repair.

(Hard to find out - else than import/export to another Mac ceased to work

everything else is OK e.g. recording and playback to TV)

A/D-box

• Is the dip-switches set right ?

• Set to same standard as recorded/editing e.g. NTSC 29.97fps or PAL 25fps

• Try resetting it

Connections

• Daisy Chaining most often doesn’t work (some unique cases - it’s the only way that work (some Canon Cameras ?))

Try to avoid connecting Camera <--> external HD <--> Mac but import directly to the Mac then move

the Movie project to dedicated external hard disk.

• FireWire-port - Can be re-setted by - Turn off Mac and disconnecting Mac from Mains/Power for 20-30 minutes

External device’s (hard disk’s)

• Should be FireWire as USB/USB2 performs badly and so does Airport or Net-work connected ones too.

• MUST BE - Mac OS Extended formatted - UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - DO NOT WORK for video due to 4Gb barrier.

Mac

• Free space on internal (start-up) hard disk ? Please specify the amount of free space.

(Other hard disks don't count)

I go for a minimum of 25Gb free space for 4x3 SD Video - and my guess is 5 times more for 16x9 HD ones

after material is imported and edited. No Camera or A/D-box

• GarageBands fix - Close iMovie, Open GarageBand, Play some notes, Close GB and iMove can now be OK

• Does Your Mac have a FireWire Port

• White MacBooks - don't

• MacBook-Air - don't

if not then a few Mac’s has a PCM-CIA slot and there are FW-Cards that makes a FW-port this way

else - NO SOLUTION

Only option as I get it is either

• Use another Mac to Capture material (to an external USB2 - Mac OS Extended formatted hard disk - or -

• Change to another Camera that can be used with Your Mac (no there are no miniDV tape Cameras that can)

• If Your Mac-Book has a PCM-CIA Card place - then there are FW-port-Cards and then

You can import via this - but I've not seen this on more modern Macs. My PowerBook G4

has one and this FW-Card-port works greatly.

SoftWare

• Delete iMovie pref. file may help sometimes. I rather start a new account, log into this and have a re-try.

• Any strange Plug-ins into QuickTime as Perian etc ? Remove and try again.

• FileVault is off ? (hopefully)

• Screen Saver - OFF

• Energy Saver - OFF

Using WHAT versions ? .

• Mac OS - X.5.4 ?

• QuickTime version ? (This is the heart in both iMovie and FinalCut)

• iMovie’08 (7.1.?), 09 or 11 ?

• iMovie HD 6 (6.0.4/3) ?

Other ways to import Your miniDV tape

• Use another Camera. There where tape play-back stations from SONY

but they costed about 2-4 times a normal miniDV Camera.

• If Your Camera works on another Mac. Make an iMovie movie project here and move it

over to Your Mac via an external hard disk.

(HAS TO BE Mac OS Extended formatted - USB/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange WILL NOT DO)

(Should be a FireWire one - USB/USB2 performs badly)

from LKN 1935.

Hi Bengt W, I tried it all, but nothing worked. Your answer has been helpful insofar as all the different trials led to the conclusion that there was something wrong with my iMovie software. I therefore threw everything away and reinstalled iMovie from the HD. After that the exportation of DV videos (there has not been any problem with HDV videos) to my Sony camcorders worked properly as it did before. Thank you. LKN 1935

from Karsten.

in addition to Bengt's excellent '9 yards of advice' .. 😉

camera set to 'Play' , not rec/computer/etc.?

camera not on battery, but power-line?

did your Mac 'recognize' this camera before...?

a technical check.

connect camera, on, playback, fw-connected...

click on the Blue Apple, upper left of your screen ..

choose 'About . . / More . .

under Firewire.. what do you read . . ?

More

• FileVault - Secure that it’s turned off

• Network storage - DOESN’T WORK

• Where did You store/capture/import Your project ?

External USB hard disk = Bad Choice / FireWire = Good

If so it has to be Mac OS Extended formatted

----> UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange is NOT Working for VIDEO !

mbolander

Thanks for all your suggestions. What I learned is that I had a software problem. I had something called "Nikon Transfer" on my Mac that was recognizing my Canon camcorder as a still camera and was preventing iMovie from working properly. After un-installing Nikon Transfer and doing a reboot, everything worked great.

I never liked the Nikon Transfer software anyway--I guess I'll get a cheap card reader and use that to transfer photos in the future.

No Camera or bad import

• USB hard disk

• Network storage

• File Vault is on

jiggaman15dg wrote

if you have adobe cs3 or 4 and have the adobe bridge on close that

or no firewire will work

see if that helps

DJ1249 wrote

The problem was the external backup hard drive that is connected, you need to disconnect the external drive before the mac can see the video camera.

MaryBoog wrote

Maybe your problems is solved in the meantime, but for all others this might help as I had the same problem, also have the Sony HDR-HC7, but the 7e (Europe, PAL). I found this link today and it works perfectly

//support.sony-europe.com/tutorials/dime/videotransfer/vtransfer.aspx site=odw_en_GB&sec=DVH&m=HDR-HC7E

What I exactly did.- put camera in play mode - open guide - choose connection guide - choose comp./printer (where to transfer movie to) - select connection.- i-link (on my camera) but equal to firewire - OK - choose HDV - choose NO for conversion of i.link.

Settings are shown then (VCR HDV/DV.- HDV and i.link-conv..- OFF), press OK, OK, END.

Switch camera off. Connect firewire cable to camera & Mac. Switch camera on, in play/edit mode.

Open i-movie, choose import from camera. On screen below the camera connection is shown.- DV (HDV). Now you can import, automatically or manually.

This worked perfectly for me. Took me 2 days to find out. Could not find any clear thread explaining what I had to do on the camera and the manual was not clear either.

Yours Bengt W

Dec 6, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hi Bengt,

I just connected to say I solved the problem and saw your reply, many thanks.

As I said the camera stopped working after I had to power off the MAC while I was importing some movies.

Well, this operation left a file corrupted under my home directory/Application Support/iMovie directory.

Unfortunately I deleted it using rm and forgotten to save the file name.

As soon as I restarted iMovie and reconnected the videocamera everything worked fine and I was able to import the remaining movie from the videocamera.

Many thanks

ciao

giorgio

Importing movies stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.