Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion forgets workgroup name after every reboot

Mountain Lion seems to forget its WORKGROUP settings (Network Settings/Advanced/WINS) with every reboot, which breaks SMB file sharing for my Windows PC. Every time I restart my MacBook, I cannot access the SMB shares on this Macbook from my PC until I go to Network Settings on my MacBook and re-enter the workgroup name, which miraculously disappears with every reboot. This problem started to happen with Lion, and still persist in Mountain Lion; Everything was working fine in Snow Leopard. I've done a clean installation of Lion and Mountain Lion multiple times, to no avail.

Apparently I'm not the only user affected by this, and according to other forum discussions I found on the internet (e.g. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267663-lion-and-smb-workgroup-problem/) the only reliable solution would be to disable Apple's buggy SMB file sharing and install samba3. I'm reluctant to go down that road because I don't know how what other implications this might have/how this could affect future OS updates/network security, etc.

The MacBook Pro in question is no longer covered by Apple Care. What are my options at this point? How can I make Apple aware of the problem? Did somebody find a less complicated and less intrusive workaround/fix?

Thanks,

George

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:27 PM

There are no replies.

Mountain Lion forgets workgroup name after every reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.