Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset login account

I am running in a silly problem: I just acquired a new MacBook air which was configured at the apple store to install "Parallels Desktop", the setup with login and password was not given to me and now I cannot login. Is there a way to rest the mac and start over again with a fresh login ?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:24 PM

1 reply

Nov 29, 2012 10:26 PM in response to sah-br

Boot into Recovery by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select Utilities Terminal from the menu bar.

In the Terminal window, type this:

resetpassword

That's one word with no spaces. Then press return. A Reset Password window opens.

Select your boot volume if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Follow the prompts to reset the password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9.

Select  Restart from the menu bar.

You should now be able to log in with the new password.

reset login account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.