Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 how can the window background colour be changed from white to black in Grid View?

How do I change the window background colour ,in Grid View, from the new, default, white back to the good old, more easy on the eye, black?

Apple did this to us in iPhoto some time ago and had to add a preference for shades of grey other than white. Why didn't Apple learn from this mistake?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:19 PM

16 replies

Nov 29, 2012 11:16 PM in response to rob stacey

I have the same problem, album art looks awful on a white background. They also seem to have removed the ability to change the size of the album art with the slider & removed the gridwork view when viewing your library by artist. Infact you cant seem to change any of the views & just have to accept what they force upon you.

I've yet to see any beneficial changes in iTunes 11, only things they've taken away.

Also does anyone know, if I choose the option 'Share details about your library with Apple' which is described as 'This allows iTunes to get artist images, album covers, and related information based on the items in your library'. Is there a danger they'll replace any existing artwork or ID3 details with their own?

I'm happy for them to fill in blanks, but I do not want them to alter any existing artwork or tags.

Nov 30, 2012 8:33 AM in response to dbaker218

The more I look at the new iTunes 11 the less I like it. It seems far less intuitive. Now we even have to go to the View (Menu Bar not the View Icon!) to set up display order and we even have to go to the View menu to 'Show Sidebar'. Why is the Sidebar not the default view? Anybody who uses iTunes to update Apps, Sync iOS Devices and who has more than a few Smart Playlists, etc. wants the sidebar visible at all times ... and isn't that everyone?!!

Apple's User Interface Design is getting more and more complicated and less and less intuitve. And an easy to use, intuitve user interface used to be one of Apple's strong points, in fact it is what made Apple unique. What happened?

Nov 30, 2012 2:29 PM in response to rob stacey

Apple has done it again! under the pretext of improvement they have taken away the artwork size slider and the dark grey background colour option as well as filling your screen with the full size artwork option. Previous version was more user friendly. Fonts are still too small. One would hope that with a so called improvement you would get larger fonts. even on a 55 inch screen my eyes strain from 4m away. At least there was a way to make them bigger in the old version via the "file editor"!

Nov 30, 2012 8:53 PM in response to rob stacey

This happened with an earlier version of iTunes and someone came up with a mod to fix it, I have no idea how they did it and unfortunately i can't fin a working link but maybe it could be done for this version?

Here's one link (but this fix link is broken)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10356899-263.html

I hope they bring back the grey, because other than that I really like 11!

Nov 30, 2012 11:38 PM in response to rob stacey

hey rob stacey, i just wanted to thank yu. I couldn't finda another area to do so than this. but i was having tons of trouble simply removing a red pin from my google maps on my new 4s, and nothing on line or on youtube was helpful. Yur info got it done. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Of course, i couldn't find an appropriate place to thank you either, so this is it. I'm such a computer idiot. dave

Dec 2, 2012 7:40 PM in response to rob stacey

I don't like the white background- it hurts my eyes. Hopefully, they'll update this in a few weeks so we can change the background color. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about how multiple television season's are viewed. On one hand it is very slick looking, but on the other it's not as easy to see individual episode. Also, individual season artwork seems to be lost, and finally, I rip my tv dvds and convert them for itunes to watch on the go. This new look makes it harder to find the episodes I want to view.

Dec 3, 2012 9:32 AM in response to rob stacey

It is good to know I am not alone. The first thing I did after downloading iTunes 11 was go into preferences to change the background color. But alas, the option for a dark background is gone. I also was kind of disappointed in the lack of ability to resize the artwork, but not to the extent of some other commenters here.

I will say this though. I love the way the albums expand with custom colored backgrounds based on each album's artwork colors. This looks fantastic. Still it would be nice to accomodate those who prefer to use a dark background for the overall application's theme.

So, Apple, I join with my fellow users in requesting the return of resizable artwork, and the option for at least a dark (or an even further customizable) background color for the overall theme of the application. Thanks!

Godspeed,

Nuckels

Dec 4, 2012 1:02 AM in response to rob stacey

I totally agree with the above posts, I always had my artwork large and my background black, Apple have done it again. They really should learn that once they have given us a feature people will use it and get upset when it is taken away!!!

PLEASE PLEASE can we have

1. The BLACK BACKGROUND feature back

2. The ARTWORK size slider back

3. The COLOUR ICONS in the sidebar back

4. The option to set the sidebar as defualt view (this also applies to iPhoto)

Hey and how about letting us add coloured labels to the playlist folders!

And (a longstanding gripe here) the ability to select multiple play lists (to move to a folder, delete etc..)

iTunes 11 how can the window background colour be changed from white to black in Grid View?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.