Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I install mountain lion on OSX 10.6.8 MACBOOK PRO?

I downloaded the mountain lion install app and now i can't install it I get the "This disk cannot be used to startup your computer" error when I try and install. If i back out to the main install page and try it again then i get this error "OSX cannot be installed on Macintosh HD". I have read similar posts and done appropriate responses such as verifying and reparing the HD. I have a Time Capsule that I backup to and I've tried disconnecting from it and ensured its not backing up during my attempts to install. Nothing seems to work. HELP!!!!

Computer Stats:

Early 2009 13" Macbook Pro

Model identifier: macbookpro 5,5

ram: 8GB

HD space available: 60GB

Processor: Duo core 2.53

Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't have any crazy setups, pretty much straight out of the box.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:52 PM

you need to upgrade to Lion first

17 replies

Nov 29, 2012 6:03 PM in response to John Galt

Exactly like the article you linked except I can't find a "backups.backupdb" folder/file anywhere. Even when just manually checking folders and files. Its possible i'm not looking in the right spot, but its seems obvious enough.

I dowloaded the install app from the app store abour 3 weeks ago (from my home wifi)...I got frustrated and other priorities came up.

Nov 29, 2012 6:02 PM in response to John Galt

I agree it is not. but if njones tries to run it from SL it will not work as it will go into upgrade mode which cannot be done without Lion upgrade first.

njones, you can install ML but you need to back up your data first and make a clean install of ML onto a clean partition - then restore data.

For some it is better is to upgrade in stages via Lion.

Nov 30, 2012 2:48 AM in response to babowa

Thanks babowa,

I cannot go back to the original post where I read it or (as I believe now I misread it).

I followed a couple of senior members threads and must have misunderstood and misinterpret the troubleshooting steps which made me believe the Lion was the MUST in such upgrade procedure.

I also had a problem with SL-ML direct upgrade but was successful with many SL-L ones which I think added to my false assurance.
I do applogise for the confusion.

Why can't I install mountain lion on OSX 10.6.8 MACBOOK PRO?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.