Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting External Speakers

I have a late 2009 27" iMac. I am trying to connect my external surround sound speakers to my iMac so I can edit surround mixes and watch movies in surround sound.

I have already tried using the MiniDisplay Port to HDMI cable and outputing to my speakers that way, which works just fine. The problem is, I would like to connect another monitor and I do not have two MiniDisplay Ports.

So, the work around would be to connect the external monitor through the MiniDisplay Port and then connect the speakers through the optical output (headphone jack) with a toslink cable that has a 1/8" adapter. I tried this and I am unable to get suround sound from my iMac this way. I seem to only be getting two channel audio.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is or if I am doing something wrong? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 27 inch; 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:59 PM

1 reply

Connecting External Speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.