Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Font?

I really love the way that the new iTunes 11 looks, but is there any way to change the font?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:39 PM

20 replies

Dec 1, 2012 3:18 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

There is no easy way to do this, but...

1. open Terminal.app
  2. type: "open /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj"
  3. type (in terminal again): "chown `whoami` TextStyles.plist"
  4. in opened folder find file: "TextStyles.plist"
  5. replace all occurences of "HelveticaNueve" with "LucidaGrande" (font in iTunes 10)
  6. save
  7. restart iTunes

Dec 2, 2012 12:20 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

The file mentioned can be changed in TextEdit, but you will be unable to save it because it is owned by root. To first change file ownership to yourself, follow these Terminal instructions:

cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/

cat English.lproj/TextStyles.plist

sudo chown $USER English.lproj

sudo chown $USER English.lproj/TextStyles.plist

cp English.lproj/TextStyles.plist English.lproj/TextStyles.orig

Quit iTunes

Now edit the file:

open -a TextEdit.app English.lproj/TextStyles.plist

Change every occurrence of "HelveticaNeue" to "LucidaGrande"

Save the file.

Launch iTunes

Dec 3, 2012 11:22 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

I didn't have much time to tweak TextStyles.plist so to make iTunes 11 look as close to previous versions as possible - for the most part I just substituted all HelveticaNeue strings with LucidaGrande, keeping in mind that there is only LucidaGrande and LucidaGrande-Bold typefaces available in the system. Here is my version: http://cl.ly/LKgu (Please note this version is only applicable if your system language is English. Also please remember this is not a regular modification - you are making it at your own risk. Do backup your original TextStyles.plist).

Here is how iTunes fonts look with this modified plist:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

In case you are going to edit your own TextStyles.plist, and so to save you some time, here is a few keys:

- LCD fonts (top middle window with current track name/artist ect) - look up for strings with "LCD" (like LCDTextLarge)

- Navigation bar fonts (where you chose betwen views in music section or between departments in itunes store) - strings containing "nav bar"

- Most fonts in main window related to album/artist/track information whether in albums or any other view - strings containing "item grid"

- Sidebar items fonts - "playlists outline small font" and "playlists outline small font (selected)" strings

Jul 19, 2013 11:18 PM in response to Gnarlodious

THANK YOU Gnarlodius. I can't believe Apple has switched over to such a cheap looking font - and worse, won't easily let you change it. Your solution worked great.

And lambertd, obviously you can then change every instance of LucidaGrande-Medium to LucidaGrande. Not that difficult to figure out. 😝

As an extra step, I did the following:

Change every occurrence of "<integer>12</integer>" to "<integer>11</integer>"

Change every occurrence of "<integer>13</integer>" to "<integer>12</integer>"

This will make the font sizes reasonable and not kindergarten looking.

Change Font?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.