Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 has black background with black text

I had previously set iTunes to use the dark grid theme. Now I've upgraded to itunes 11 but i'm stuck with cases where I have a black background and black text with no preferences option to fix it. (the same problem I had with the previous itunes version, even when i tried selecting a different theme it wouldn't change)

examples include the downloads window

User uploaded file

And views like album view that the text changes color based on the album art, and the background is supposed to too but mine doesn't, so sometimes the icons/text will be unreadable. Like the close, play, shuffle, etc buttons in the screen shot below.

User uploaded file

I have tried retinstalling iTunes several times between 10.6 and 11 to fix various bugs but it's never worked properly.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:05 PM

I think the background just matches the album cover art that you happen to have selected at the time. unselect an album on mine and the background goes ti white, which I personally do not care for, I rather have my old dark gray background, yet I have no clue if I can even change it back to that.

12 replies

Nov 29, 2012 6:21 PM in response to RadicalxEdward

The problem isn't in iTunes. It's in your iTunes Preferences file - since you changed a setting and there's no way to change it back, the only thing you can do is delete the preferences file. iTunes will create a new one, but you'll gave to go through all the settings to put things back the way you like (minus the black background of course). It's no big deal, you won't lose anything important.

First, quit iTunes

Go to the Finder.

Hold down the option key, and click the "Go" menu and choose "Library" (you may not see Library if you don't hold down the "option" key).

Find the "Preferences" folder.

Inside the "preferences" folder, look for the file called "com.apple.iTunes.plist" and drag it to the trash.

Open up iTunes. It should look better at this point. Finally just go to the iTunes "preferences" menu and reset anything that changed back to the way you like it.

Dec 18, 2012 2:47 AM in response to RadicalxEdward

(Sorry RadicalxEdward, I misunderstood... I thought your sollution was to give more contrast to iTunes, which is a kind of pale to me. I was so desparate to look for a way to change this because I can hardly stand the current looks, almost hurting my eyes when looking at it. I am not allowed to completely delete this post, so therefore a little explanation.)

Mar 28, 2013 5:23 PM in response to RadicalxEdward

Very Big thank you All of you for your help !!! It's been an hour that I didn't know what to do to see which songs to chooses because of the grey typo on black background !!! Merci

En français : si vous visualisez les chansons d'itunes 11 en gris sur fond noir ou en noir sur fond noir et que itunes 11 est illisible donc, il faut simplement aller dans le terminal et coller cette ligne, cela réinitialisera les paramètres de contrastes d'itunes :

defaults write com.apple.iTunes high-contrast-mode-enable -bool FALSE

Enfin sauvée après une heure de galère à chercher partout comment changer la skin de itunes 11 alors que c'était en fait un bug d'affichage !!!

iTunes 11 has black background with black text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.