Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 11 store sort search results

just updated to itunes 11. went to the store and searched for a song. the results came back but i can't sort sort on any of the columns. the ctrl+j or view > view options pop-up that you can use for your own library doesnt seem to work in the store. how do you sort the store search results?

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 7

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:22 PM

93 replies

Nov 30, 2012 7:47 PM in response to bonetop

This is frustrating. I go to the iTunes store and search for a particular song to buy. There are *lots* of results. To find the one I want, I need to sort the columns -- song name, artist, album, popuilarity -- but the sort is not working on any column. There's what looks like a disclosure/sort arrow over the leftmost column (search result number?) that implies sortability, but it also is not functioning. For a moment I thought it was a javascript issue and went to switch browsers, but then remembered this is *iTunes*. It should just work. I wish it did.

Dec 1, 2012 3:42 PM in response to bonetop

Um, not exactly. My example: I am in iTunes and I type thriller in the Search box. All of the thriller albums show up. I click on Songs, and all of the Thriller songs show up. I click on All Songs, and I get the columns to show up. I go up and click on Show Browser, and I goet taken back to the original page. Either that, OR I just get a blank screen with the Song genres in the left-hand browser box. There is just no way to sort.

Dec 1, 2012 5:08 PM in response to bonetop

no @bschmidt46 i'm not talking about about opening column bowser first and then picking through a specific genre / artist etc. i'm talking about starting in the store, searching for a song, the song has multiple results for different artists and albums, and then trying to sort the columns. i'm talking about itunes 11. try it again and you'll see what i mean

Dec 1, 2012 5:19 PM in response to bonetop

Nope - not working. I go to the Store, I type in Billy in the search box, the Store shows aall the songs, albums, etc. I click on See All in the Songs srea, I get a list of songs. So far, that is just like the old days - columns for name, artist, album, time, popularity and price. There is a tiny triangle on the left, above the track number or song number. Nothing happens when I click on it. Nothing happens anywhere else, either. If I use Command B to bring up the column browser, I am presented with the three boxes, my song list disappers and my blood pressure goes up.

Could I possibly have a bad installation? I wonder......

Dec 1, 2012 5:56 PM in response to bonetop

Guitarpicker, bonetop and qadr6236 - you are all correct. The old way of sorting in the iTunes store is wrecked and needs to be fixed asap. It was the first major flaw I found. You can't search on Stevie Wonder, for example, then sort by popularity or whatever - very annoying. Worse, if you search and then turn on Column Browser you lose your original list. The only way I found around the problem was to turn on Column Browser then make my choices in the columns (iTunes Store > Genre > Subgenre > Artist > Album). I my example that turned out to be Music > R&B/Soul > Motown > Stevie Wonder > All (or any other album). It's ridiculously clumsy and time consuming especially if you don't make the right choices in the columns, which is likely. But it does get you to a point where the column headers in the bottom field can actually be clicked on to do a sort. Hope somebody at Apple is paying attention so they can fix this!

Dec 2, 2012 4:04 PM in response to bschmidt46

How does this help with search? This is something that I have never had to use before and does not help with search, only drilling down into column after column...

The column headers in the search results were links that would sort. Click once for ascending and then again for descending sorting.

Simple, intuitive, USEFUL...Now, not so much.

Dec 2, 2012 4:14 PM in response to bonetop

Work-around (of sorts)...If you are searching by Artist or Album, go ahead and perform the search. Then in your search results, click either the artist or album name in the results. If you choose album, you will be taken directly to the album. Column headings are clickable.

If you are searching by artist, then you will be taken to the artist's page. Click "see all" in the songs section, and on the resultant page, the column headings are clickable.

If you are searching for a song title, you are still S.O.L...

Dec 3, 2012 1:52 PM in response to bschmidt46

The "search" window sort of works. Can't find power search at all yet. if you say , get to the list of songs by the artist, you can't sort the list. it appears as a fairly random list that you cannot sort by title or, popularity or, times. I am trying to resrerve judgement but I may be heading back to 10 soon. How is removing all the control functions supposed to be an upgrade? Steve J. would be disapointed.

itunes 11 store sort search results

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.