Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone help connecting a AV network adapter (YWA-10) to airport extreme??

I just bought a yamaha ywa-10 network adapter for my yamaha network av receiver but cannot connect it to my airport extreme. It is suppose to be WPS but after some reading I see that airport extreme does not do WPS (I tried to download version 5.6 that does but that says it is not compatible with my version of OS X which is up-to-date so I can't install). I have tried adding the YWA-10 MAC address and all other things I can think of. After about 15 tries to go through the setup process in the YWA-10 manual I'm at my complete end and about to through it, my airport, or my mac through the window. Is there something blatently obvious in connecting a network adapter to the airport that I am missing??? Thank you!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:03 PM

9 replies

Nov 30, 2012 8:47 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Right on. This article looks like it should work to get 5.6 running. I'll give it a shot when I get back home. Can you confirm for me that with the 5.6 version I can connect via WPS? I might be very green in this but the instructions for the adapter refer to pressing the WPS on the router...I don't see a WPS on the extreme but assuming through a bit of research that this can be done through the 5.6 airport utility software? Thanks so much for your help!

Nov 30, 2012 10:35 AM in response to dybry

When you open AirPort Utility, click on your AirPort Exteme to highlight it, then click Manual Setup.

Click the Base Station menu item at the uppermost top of the computer display screen, up where the File and Help menus are also located.....not the Base Station tab that is visible in the center of the windowt the Base Station tab that is visible in the center of the window.

Then click Add Wireless Clients to display the WPS compatible setup screen.

is there any "general" tricks or a processes for connecting any network device (not specifically the YWA-10) to airport when WPS isn't available?

You do not have to do anything in AirPort Utility to connect wireless devices to the network, if you use a manual setup method.

Just as with a computer, iPad or any other wireless device, the general process involves scanning from the device to be setup to identify a wireless network to join, selecting that network and entering the wireless network password to establish the connection.

Most users find the manual setup method much easier to use than a WPS setup.

Nov 30, 2012 11:33 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks again, Bob. Sorry this is getting in the weeds but this adapter isn't a traditional device it is just something that receives a wireless signal for the AV receiver (picture below). The manual talked about having to change the IP address if WPS isn't possible. I tried to follow the instructions to the "T" but it just wouldn't get a signal. Anyway, was just wondering if these types of things need some special consideration within the airport utility in order for them to receive a signal.

I don't want to waste any more of your time so no need to reply again unless this triggers something key...thanks for the help with this, it is much appreciated! Hopefully I can work it through the WPS after I get that version of utility installed.

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2014 8:05 PM in response to arabicsmith

If you still haven't got this to work, what worked for me (since ywa.setup never showed up for me):

1. Plug in via USB and ethernet to your computer.
  2. Connect to the IP address similar to your router, e.g. for me it was 192.168.1.249 (the 249 is found on the bottom of the YWA-10 device, which has a static IP address)
  3. If you can't see the router in step 2, try holding down the WPS button for 5 seconds, release, then try again.
  4. Follow the instructions in the setup wizard. When you get to the field "" after choosing your Wifi network, that's your Airport Extreme password.
  5. Change other settings as required, and you're all set to go!

Hope this helped!

Can anyone help connecting a AV network adapter (YWA-10) to airport extreme??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.