Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a program to take a recorded interview and turn it into text so i dont have to listen and type it up all on my own?

I recorded an interview in garage band and i do not want to send 5 hours listening to it than typing it up. I am wondering if there is a program that will listen to the audio and automatically transfer to text?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:49 PM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2012 10:21 PM in response to Snowe143

Do you have Mac OS X 10.8.2 on your Mac?

Then you can use the built-in "Dictation":

Enable dictation in the System Preferences "Dictation & Speech" panel and set a keyboard shortcut to start the listening.

User uploaded file

• Open the "TextEdit" application and start a new text document.
  • Press the listening shortcut (Fn twice by default). A pulsating microphone will appear.
  • Now play a paragraph from the audio clip in GarageBand.
  • Press the "Done" button in TextEdit, when the paragraph is finished. Textedit will insert the text it could understand. You will see no reaction while "Dictation" is listening. So do it in easy installments, not all text at once.

I tested this for German, English, Spanish. It works quite well, if the text is clearly spoken.

Regards

Léonie

Is there a program to take a recorded interview and turn it into text so i dont have to listen and type it up all on my own?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.