Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 Import Issue

Just downloaded the new software to my 2011 MBP running Mountain Lion. When importing a new song, the track appears on my "Recently Added" playlist but will not show up in my library. It's as if the song only exists in the Recently Added playlist.

I connected my Touch and synced it. The song shows up there in the iPod's library as expected, perfectly normal. However, on my Mac, it is no where to be found except for on Recently Added.

Even when I search for the track and, more generally, the artist, I still cannot find it. All the labels are correct as I checked them against other songs on the same album that had been successfully imported prior to the software update.

I also organized the library by "date added," which would show the most recently added track at the very top - and the one in question is not there.

Essentially, I know this track exists in my library as iTunes added it to my iPod. But it seems to be invisible!

Has anyone else run into this? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance, everyone.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:36 PM

32 replies

Nov 30, 2012 6:31 AM in response to tbreilly13

I tried importing a m4v video file into iTunes 11 (10.8.2, rMBP) and can't see it anywhere. In previous versions of iTunes, imported video files went into the Movies folder. But not iTunes 11. After importing the video, I see a new folder is created called "Home Videos" that contains the imported video file. But nowhere in iTunes 11 do I see any Home Videos listed. So how do I view the imported video file in iTunes 11?

Nov 30, 2012 8:12 AM in response to tbreilly13

Same issue with imported songs, despite directing the import to the correct folder on harddrive, song didn't show up in appropriate album, only under Playlists - Recently Added. Had to right-click - Get Info and update the Artist, Album, etc to get it to appear in Library.

New iTunes = just a pretty face. Underneath same clunky navigation. Drives me crazy that my use of iTunes comes to complete halt while iTunes updates ID3 tags, instead of doing that in the background,... And the aforementioned import issues.... Funny how the Songs view looks just like Songbird....Oh well.

Nov 30, 2012 1:11 PM in response to cdntinpusher

I'm seeing the same thing. After dropping an album in "~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes" the files disappeared from the directory, and showed up in the right spot in the iTuens files system (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/<artist>/<album>/), but they do not appear anywhere in iTunes. Search finds nothing. They are also not in my "Recently Added" playlist.

I've found no workaround.

What's more, is there a way to drag-and-drop files to import in iTunes 11? In prior versions you could drop files on the panel in the upper left-hand corner of the app and it could import them.

iTunes 11 Import Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.