Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -42408 on launch!

Hi All!

I'm on Mountain Lion, and I have updated iTunes to version 11, didn't like it, and decided to go back. Now I'm getting an "Error -42408" on each launch, while the app and Store both work fine.

After doing about an hour of digging, it looks like iTunes gives a -42408 when its having problems talking to the iTunes Store.

So far, I have tried:

-Removing iTunes.app from the Applications folder and reinstalling.

-Removing /Library/iTunes folder

-Removing ~/Library/iTunes folder

-Removing iTunes preference files in ~/Library/Preferences and /Library/Preferences

-Removing traces of installing v.11, by:

>Changing InstallHistory.plist in /Library/Reciepts

>Removing iTunes PLIST and BOM files from /private/var/db/receipts/

-Removing /Users/Shared/SC Info folder

-Using AppZapper to see if I could have missed something

...but the error persists.

As far as I can tell, there are two possibilities:

1. Some file that iTunes accesses on launch is telling iTunes something it doesn't like. (like an incorrect version number), or

2. Some file that iTunes accesses on launch is telling iTunes what to tell the iTunes Store, and the Store doesn't like what this file has to say.

Any ideas? I'm stumped! 😟

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:53 PM

4 replies

Dec 3, 2012 10:32 PM in response to rootbeerinacan

Hi guys,

I cannot exactly tell you what fixes the problem but it seems that when you just install iTunes 10.7 again it does not overwrite all files which have been altered by the iTunes 11 installation. But following this short tutorial fixed the -42048 error for me:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16400819&postcount=6

All kudos go to the original post author bogoss. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Error -42408 on launch!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.