Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 does not search for substrings only whole words!

So I don't have a ginormous library since I'm quite poor and can't afford to buy a ton of music, I buy maybe $30 worth a month. One of my favourite artists is Depeche Mode. So the first thing I did when I upgraded to iTunes 11 is searched for "dep" and it found all of my Depeche Mode stuff. That's great...

User uploaded file

And then I was doing something and I switched apps, and I switched back and tried to do a search for Depeche Mode again, only I didn't press d so I started typing "epeche", which is a substring of the word depeche. So technically all entries that match "depeche" should also match "epeche". However, it returned zero results!

User uploaded file

*** kinda logic is this? I don't always know precisely what is in my library, I rely on search to find stuff all the freaking time. Now I'm worried I won't be able to find stuff I need with ease. How did Apple allow something this silly to happen?!?!

I'm confused. I tried many other searches and it seems that substrings aren't matched whatsoever!!!

iTunes-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:08 AM

2 replies

iTunes 11 does not search for substrings only whole words!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.