Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 [Songs view] - Sort on artist, then year

I just downloaded iTunes 11 and there seem to be some features missing compared to iTunes 10. One of the most important issues is that in the "Songs" view, I cannot seem to sort on (1) Artist and (2) Album year. It seems that iTunes is automatically sorting as (1) Artist, (2) Album name alphabetically. For example, for Norah Jones, first the album Little Broken Hearts (2012) is displayed, and after that the album Not Too Late (2007). Does anyone know if this can still be done in iTunes 11 or is the feature missing completely? Interestingly enough, in the "Albums" view, there is an option to sort by Artist, then Year (view --> view options).

Another issue, which I believe has been adressed in other topics as well, is the complete missing of albumart in the "Songs" view. Consequently, this was also the place in iTunes 10 where you could choose to sort on Arist/Year. I really hope that Apple puts this feature back in iTunes 11 as soon as possible.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:14 AM

10 replies

Nov 30, 2012 11:55 AM in response to carelcoenraad

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing. Just downloaded iTunes 11 and now I can't sort albums by year in the "Artists" view. I used to prefix all my album mp3 tag names with the year number to work around this, but removed it when Apple added the Artist/Year sort. Now it's gone. Yay!

A note: you can use the free mp3tag.de software to insert your year tag into your album titles using regular expressions. If there doesn't seem to be any obvious solution to sorting by Artist/Album/Year in the next couple days, then I'll post here with some tips if anyone is interested.

Nov 30, 2012 12:00 PM in response to richardsonheights

Dude: never mind. The View menu bar is hidden by default. (I'm in Windows). You have to click on the tiny icon in the upper left and select "Show Menu Bar". Then there will be a View dropdown in the menu bar that has sort options under "View Options...".

I don't understand the point of hiding menu bars by default. Lots of applications do it now. It's like a big middle finger to everyone sane on earth. Anyway. Sorting by year is there...

NBB

Dec 1, 2012 8:44 AM in response to richardsonheights

As far as I can see, though, that doesn't actually allow you to replicate the sorting from iTunes 10 in songs view... you can add a column for the year and sort totally by that, but you can't sort by artist then album year. I liked the new view they added last year- sorting by album artist & year without having to add columns for that.

You can do it from the album or artist view, though.

Oct 8, 2013 12:00 PM in response to carelcoenraad

Sadly, with OSX and iTunes 11 when using the Song View, one CANNOT sort by Artist, then Year. It only has one sort by parameter. When sort by Srtist is selected it then secondarily sorts alphabetically by album name. Yes I know you can View by Album andhen sort by year, but then none of the other columns are available.This is exactly why I did not want to update to iTunes 11, but the iOS 7 update forced me to. The previous version of iTune allowed this sorting. If anyone from Apple happens to stumble on this thread, please bring this option back.

Jul 26, 2014 6:24 PM in response to carelcoenraad

I was having the same problem, but here is the fix for a Mac:

> Go up to the "View" tab on the top of the screen

>Under the "View" tab select "Show View Options"(Command + J)

> From there you can edit how you would like iTunes to organize your *SONGS* tab of the iTunes Library from the pull-down tab(It will say "Sort By:") at the top of the window that appears

iTunes 11 [Songs view] - Sort on artist, then year

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.