Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am an audio enthusiast and am upset my $3k Macbook Pro Retina does not have a microphone port. I didn't realize this until after I made the purchase. What a bad compromise to make it thinner. Is there a simple solution to the microphone port issue?

I am an audio enthusiast and am upset my $3k Macbook Pro Retina does not have a microphone port. What a bad compromise to make it thinner though the headphone port is still intact. Is there a simple solution to the missing microphone port?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:49 AM

28 replies

Nov 30, 2012 12:23 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

If you're an audio enthusiast, you'd have no use for a built-in microphone port, even if there was one. All that would mean is that you'd be using the built-in ADC, which would be of mediocre quality, at best. Anyone who seriously records sound on a computer uses an external digitizer.

Absolutely. A true "audio enthusiast" is well aware of how much electromagnetic noise there is the inside of a computer case, and would never want to use the built-in audio ports on the case, particularly because those little 1/8" ports use unbalanced connectors. That's just a recipe for noisy audio (to those who are discerning).

Audio enthusiasts would rather use an external audio interface that isolates the analog audio well outside the noisy computer case for a much cleaner analog/digital conversion.

Dec 1, 2012 8:39 AM in response to Network 23

Network 23 wrote:

Linc Davis wrote:

If you're an audio enthusiast, you'd have no use for a built-in microphone port, even if there was one. All that would mean is that you'd be using the built-in ADC, which would be of mediocre quality, at best. Anyone who seriously records sound on a computer uses an external digitizer.

Absolutely. A true "audio enthusiast" is well aware of how much electromagnetic noise there is the inside of a computer case, and would never want to use the built-in audio ports on the case, particularly because those little 1/8" ports use unbalanced connectors. That's just a recipe for noisy audio (to those who are discerning).

Audio enthusiasts would rather use an external audio interface that isolates the analog audio well outside the noisy computer case for a much cleaner analog/digital conversion.

And 'proper' microphones use balanced XLR connectors not 1/8" tinsel.

May 3, 2013 11:07 AM in response to Appleboja

I was looking for a solution to same problem as yours and bumped into this thread.

I totally agree with you. I think these experts are missing the point that a $3000 notebook is missing a simple audio input port. No need to hammer on whether one is "truely audio enthusiast" or not. Sure, exprtise comes at all different levels. There are so many situations you want to do a quick take of a speech or song or teleconference without picking up a lot of background noise. You just want to connect a mic and go. Not tag along another USB gadget that requires another power plug etc. This is yet another flop just like the missing CD/DVD drive. What a bummer! I am not happy camper of the new Macbook either.

May 3, 2013 11:35 AM in response to hot_spur

I trusted Apple to make the best product and i feel these designers failed me. Youre right these so called experts here can only do but attack me and sidestepping the main issue. The choice to leave out the audio port is a bad idea admit it. Yes if I did some homework I would not have bought it and opted for the older model because i didnt think that be an issue. Anybody else here who kept talking about my being an audio enthuse is really out in left field...sheez

May 3, 2013 11:47 AM in response to Appleboja

I don't admit that it is a bad idea, because I have no use for it whatsoever.

What I think are good ideas are the retina display, the processor, the ram, the graphics card, the SSD, the weight, and the ultra thin profile. To get that ultra thin profile some things had to be prioritized by the designers. I have no use for a microphone or I would buy one, just like I bought a CD/DVD drive, and a USB hub for other peripherals.

In the world of design it is known as "trade-offs."

May 3, 2013 12:04 PM in response to Appleboja

Appleboja wrote:

I trusted Apple to make the best product

No you didn't, you trusted Apple to make the machine that you wanted, complete with the facilities you wanted. So sure were you that you were right you didn't check what they actually make.

Guess what, they don't make your Mac.

Take it back and get something else.

May 3, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Appleboja

Hello,

on the issue of no input port get a $150.00 USB 3 Focusrite Audio Interface such as the Scarlett 2i2. It has Opamps not tubes but it's small and compact and sounds a whole lot better than what the audio-in used to sound like. Plus, you can plug in a mic or quarter inch cable which means you don't need an xlr to quarter inch a sony sony like you would have to do with the older model.

If you got a Retna you got the best deal because the other model has the audio in but it doesn't have the flash hard drive on the chip with no moving parts. It's much faster if you need to process large amouts of data such as using an audio DAW. The downside is replacing the drive.

The thunderbolt ports are great because you can convert your other drive to an external if it's large enough to do you any good. I converted one from an internal I replaced in a very old Macbook Pro. It's a USB 3. if you need to use a firewire and it's a 400 then that might be a problem.

If you need to use a express card go with Sonett Technologies but get the pro.

Congradulations to everyone who got the Retina.

Best,

Alan Warrick

I am an audio enthusiast and am upset my $3k Macbook Pro Retina does not have a microphone port. I didn't realize this until after I made the purchase. What a bad compromise to make it thinner. Is there a simple solution to the microphone port issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.