Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AD bound Macs renaming themselves and not obeying WGM settings (user settings work fine)

Hello!

We've got a Server 2008r2 domain, OSX Lion Server 10.7.5 Xserver and Lion 10.7.5 clients. We made an image of a model machine using DeployStudio and deployed that to the 20 Macs we have on site.

We have two issues:

Each of the 20 machines now renames itself to ICT-L15-001 - the original machine used for imaging. We've tried changing the hostname, location, WINS name which works for a while, then they rename themselves ICT-L15-001...

This might be leading to issue 2:

We can't get the WGM computer group settings to stick. The user preferences work fine, but nothing we set in WGM at a machine level works. This would be fine, but we're trying to run a script at login, which is handled by the machine preferences...

Driving. Me. Insane.

The machine settings used to work, no idea what's changed though...

Are there logs anywhere?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:43 AM

1 reply

Nov 30, 2012 3:59 AM in response to Benjamin_Jones

Right, it's the renaming issue that's causing the problem. I'm adding the computer from my AD group, using it's AD ID, then it's renaming itself in the background on WGM, but still showing it's AD ID in the member group...

I deleted the machine, then used the ... button, and added the machine by MAC address rather than it's name, and hey presto!

Just need to work out the renaming thing now...

AD bound Macs renaming themselves and not obeying WGM settings (user settings work fine)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.