Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iMac os Help Needed

Ok First off just want to say i am new to mac's and i was able to pick this mac up from a school that was closing the only issue that i am having is the school did not clear the os back to factory nor did they give an os disc it is running os 8.6 but i am locked out of the main admin account!

I guess my question is, is there a way for me to reset the os without a disc (can not afford to buy an os at this time) or is there a way for me to install a new copy of the os via usb? If so how would i go about doing it i have been searching all over the internet and can't find any info on it so i came here to the hub of apple! ^.^

User uploaded file

PS. Thanks for the future help in this matter.... ^.^

iMac, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:34 AM

It looks like your iMac can be operated with any OS from 8.6 up to OS X 10.3.9. You need to beg or borrow a retail installation disk in order to possibly reset the password (I do not know if it can be done with 8.6). More likely you would wish to do a new install.

User uploaded file

3 replies

Old iMac os Help Needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.