Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 5.1.1 update fails

I tried to update my brand new Apple tv 3 to v5.1.1 firmware and it goes through Step 1 " Preparing Update" it get about 95% and then the process aborts and says Update Failed, please restart and try again. I restarted the device and tried again. Same issue. Currently using V5.1 firmware.

Apple Please HELP!

Apple TV, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:36 AM

Seems to be have been related to update over Wired Network connection. Switched to Wireless and it worked.

11 replies

Jan 1, 2013 5:35 PM in response to speedracer1999

Switching the Apple TV over to our wifi allowed me to update as well. Thanks for the tip!

Looks like Apple is aware of the issue and included this fix in their bug updates for 5.1.1.

Apple TV Software Update 5.1.1

FeatureSummary
iTunes Up NextAdds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. See upcoming songs when playing music on your Apple TV. Add new songs and edit what's queued with your Remote or with the Remote app.
Stability and performanceIncludes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.

Hopefully the next firmware update can be done over wired Ethernet without any problems.

Apple TV 5.1.1 update fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.