Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keeps asking to accept incoming network connections for iTunes

Why does OS X keep asking if I want the new iTunes to accept incoming network connections on every iTunes launch?

1. It appears in the firewall, and is green lighted to accept incoming network connections.

2. I have the checkbox to automatically allow signed software to accept connections.

3. I have repaired permissions.

4. I have re-downloaded and reinstalled the application.

5. I am running the latest version of OS X with all updates installed.

This should not be happening.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:16 AM

16 replies

Dec 2, 2012 7:48 AM in response to XtremeArtists

I'm having the same problem since I installed the iTunes 11 update. Prior to the iTunes 11 update, I was not prompted repeatedly. I'm not sure what has changed, but it doesn't seem to recognize that the iTunes program listed in the firewall exceptions is the same as the iTunes program installed on my Mac.

Stuff like this reminds me of how often Microsoft's products don't talk and/or work well with each other.

Dec 7, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Dwimmerlaik

I've found what causes the problem in iTunes 11. At least for me. It's the Sync Over Wi-Fi. When that is enabled for any of your iOS devices the message pops up each time. When I disabled it and only have my iOS devices sync via cable the problem stopped ocurring. This is obviously an issue where the firewall is viewing the request over Wi-Fi as a malicious attack and blocking it and/or requesting each time permission.

Dec 8, 2012 6:08 PM in response to IzzyJG99

I started having the same problem since I installed iTunes 11 on Os X 10.8.2, and none of my devices sync over wi-fi, so disabling that doesn't work for me. I tried the other "tricks" described earlier, but none seem to work.

I remember I had this problem months ago on a previous version of Os X after another upgrade of iTunes, and back then all I did was to reinstall iTunes, and that worked... but not this time.

This is really annoying...

Dec 8, 2012 7:00 PM in response to errepi5

That's a drag. I downgraded to OS 10.7 and KEPT iTunes 10.6.3. I then set up my iTunes in 10.7 and all of my iOS devices. Upgraded to 10.8.2 and iTunes 11. Problem still persisted. I thought perhaps establishing everything in a previous version might fix the problem.

So I went back again to OS 10.7, KEPT iTunes 10.6.3 (Downloaded all purchases from The Cloud & CD Installs)and then upgraded to 10.8.2. Opted NOT to get iTunes 11. I'm probably not going to upgrade to iTunes 11 until at least .0.2 or .0.3 release patch.

Dec 13, 2012 6:39 PM in response to XtremeArtists

Evidently there is a bug where if you upgrade iTunes to iTunes 11 from ANY VERSION prior to iTunes 10.7 you can develop this bug. It was only affecting me because Software Update was giving my iTunes 10.6.3 and then telling me to upgrade to 10.7. Which caused this bug by skipping 10.7. You need to have 10.7 to avoid many (This one included) bugs in iTunes 11. Evidently it has a lot to do with the 64 bit software architecture.

I fixed it by uninstalling iTunes 11. I downloaded 10.6.3 (Super stable) and put all my music back into that and setup my iOS devices. I then installed 10.7 (Which can be found via a simple google search for a link) and restarted. Then I downloaded VIA the iTunes Webpage (NOT SOFTWARE UPDATE) iTunes 11. No problems.

Jan 3, 2013 1:12 AM in response to XtremeArtists

I too am having the same issue. I too have deleted the preference file, turned off sync over wi-fi, turned off itunes pairing with remote and devices pairing with remote speakers. All of these were solutions others have come up with. None of these work. This problem didn't occur immediately after I upgraded to iTunes 11 so I'm at a loss.

Jan 3, 2013 1:37 AM in response to s49

Something I have noticed. In my firewall allowed connections iTunes appears. However I have a vague memory that it appeared as itunes.app not iTunes before I noticed this problem. And itunes.app is what the firewall is asking permission to allow. Could it be some subset of iTunes that for some reason is not appearing in the allowed connections? What do you have showing as the allowed connection, itunes.app or iTunes?

Jan 3, 2013 4:53 PM in response to XtremeArtists

Same problem. It has worked for me to

• close iTunes
  • delete iTunes from the Applications folder (sudo rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app)
  • delete the rule in the firewall (while the firewall is running)
  • close the dialog, turn off the firewall, turn it on again and
  • reinstall iTunes from Apple (sudo softwareupdate --install iTunesX-11.0.1)

After that, the signature seems to be correct again, at least the error is gone (codesign -d /Applications/iTunes.app)

Jan 16, 2013 8:29 AM in response to maelcum

Hi maelcum, just want to thank you for your tip. It worked for me.

I had upgraded from MacOS 10.5.8 to 10.6 and then upgraded iTunes to 11.0.1 simply to enable my MacBook Pro to install my new iPad Mini in December. Then the annoying iTune.app dialog box began to come up asking about network connections in the firewall even though iTunes connections WERE already enabled.

I moved iTunes to the desktop and followed your instructions. After following your instructions I put iTunes back in the applications folder and ran it, the problem no longer recurred and the firewall seems to have detected iTunes and placed a new entry with permissions granted on its list. Glad I didn't have to call support on this one.

Cheers.

Jun 11, 2013 11:50 AM in response to XtremeArtists

I constanstly get the exact same nag message about allowing incomming connections, plus now iTunes just pops up all by itself, and I simply do not ever let anyone inside my firewall, period, including Apple, so they can spy on my info or software. The snooping scanel of the last couple of days has only underlined my decisions.

I have denied them access in security/advanced. I have turned off connect to apple for for song info. No Ping.

I do however run DLNA across my wifi network using BubbleUp client so I can access my iTunes library via TiVo throughout the house, and have for the last year with no issues.

(During this message, itunes has launched, nagged and started playing music all by itself 3 times!)

I tried a terminal command from another thread http://nerdramblings.tumblr.com/post/5637291886/fix-apple-firewall-asking-for-pe rmissions, which should have given me

/Applications/iTunes.app: valid on disk
/Applications/iTunes.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

Insted I got this:

Last login: Mon Jun 10 22:06:31 on console

Buzzs-iMac:~ buzz$ codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app

/Applications/iTunes.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DevicePrefsMobileMe.ni b/objects.xib: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/ExactMatch.plist: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/arrow.png: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/artwork.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/AutofillMenus.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/AutofillMenusAlt1.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/AutofillSettings.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/border_bottom.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/border_bottomleft.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/border_bottomright.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/border_left.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/border_right.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/border_top.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/border_topleft.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/border_topright.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/BuyArrow.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/BuyMenuGift.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/customizing.9.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/customizing.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/DevicesMusic.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/DevicesMyiPod.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/DevicesShuffle.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/DevicesShuffle3g.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/EjectButtonSelected.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/fllscrn.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/geniusbutton.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/homebutton.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img1.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img10.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img11.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img16.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img19.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img2.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img20.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img22.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img23.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img24.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img25.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img26.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img27.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img6.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img7.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/img8.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/it_subtitles.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/itic.png: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/LibraryList.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/LibraryMusic.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/musictab.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/overview.9.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/overview.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/Playlists.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/PreviewButton.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/QuickLinksRedeem.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/rating.png: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/RentButton.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/repeat.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/ringtonebell.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/ringtonesui.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/rule.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/shuffle.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/smartplaylist9.0.3.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/smartplaylist9.1win.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/smartplaylistgear.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/speakerpopup.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreAllEpisodes.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/storearrow.png: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreList.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreMultiPass.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreNav.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreNavAudiobooks.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreNavCategories.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreNavMovies.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreNavPodcasts.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreNavSignIn.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreNavTVShows.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/StoreSeasonPass.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/SyncOptions.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/view.jpg: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/WishListMenu.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/xicnappletv.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/xicnipad.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/xicniphone.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/xicnipod.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/gfx/xicnitun.gif: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/iTunes Help.helpindex: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/iTunes Help.html: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/shrd/OpnApp.scpt: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/shrd/tree.js: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/2column_reference.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/3column_reference.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/annotated_topic_list.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/annotated_topic_list_images.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/genlist.html: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/genlist_style.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/home_iapps.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/index.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/launchpad.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/print.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/simple_topic_list.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/single_column_reference.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/task.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/sty/task_multi.css: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunes Help/xpgs/xall.html: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SmartPlaylist.nib/obje cts.xib: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesASUHelper: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/_CodeSigna ture/CodeResources: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/Info.plist : resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/iTun esHelper: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/PkgInfo: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/Resources/ iTunesHelper.icns: resource added

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/version.pl ist: resource added

I have version of itunes 11.0.2 running in Snow Lep 10.6.8. and I run my iMac via wifi rather then ethernet, and have for 3 years. This is all new in the last 3 weeks. I'm happy with the version I have, with no interest in uninstall/reinstall or screwing around with the newest versions, which I really hate.

I'm ok poking around in Terminal if that's the answer. otherwise, I'm off to WinAmp or DoubleTwist, though I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Please excuse my angry tone, but I've had nothing but problems with this machine since I bought it, it's been to the shop once and reformmatted from scratch twice, and regard it as the second worst decision of my life. The worst one was my first marriage 🙂

Jun 11, 2013 12:37 PM in response to chicagoblt

For what it's worth even if you have all that security on, Apple can simply send a direct message to your machine to turn it off. In fact they do on that on a daily basis with pushed-updates that allow the firewall to block certain known malicious software and to remove possible threats to your system. It's all built into OS X 10.6 to 10.8. So you're really only wasting your own time by having all of that security on. Because it doesn't actually do anything if you're wanting Apple to avoid knowing information about you. Information that you already have given them and information you can also opt out of letting them further obtain from you if you just read your privacy agreement.

But, I digress,

If you upgraded to either 10.7 or 10.8 and installed the latest iTunes 11.0.4 your problem would be solved. Both versions of the OS X as well as iTunes 11.0.4 specifically have fixes/patches in them for this problem. If you can't or don't want to upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8 (Which are more secure, btw than 10.6 ever is or was) then just download iTunes 11.0.4 and upgrade your iTunes that way. It'll fix the issue.

Also...WinAmp DOES mine information off of you. More so than Apple does. Apple at least offers an opt out option. If you have your firewall on and don't allow it permission you're actually going to find yourself unable to use WinAmp. Since it requires a near constant on internet connection to validate certain music licenses and prevent audio theft.

Jan 3, 2015 6:39 PM in response to IzzyJG99

I had this problem with all Microsoft Office 2008 applications on several fresh installs of Mavericks and Yosemite. Here is how I finally got it to go away. Hope it helps some of you:

(1) close the affected apps

(2) delete any firewall settings for that app

(3) delete all .plist files and other preferences found in /Library/Preferences, Library/Caches, ~/Library/Preferences, and ~/Library/Caches (in my case this included all files in preferences folders named com.microsoft.*.plist and all subfolders in those folders bearing the name Microsoft). Don't worry; properly coded apps will restore their own plist files.

(4) launch each app again and choose "deny" (or "allow", according to your preference) in the dialogue about incoming connections

(5) closing the app, and opening again to verify that the firewall setting had been remembered.

Note that I also had previously forced a re-signing of the apps using ad-hoc code signing in a terminal window:

>sudo codesign --force --sign - <full path to application>

For example:

>sudo codesign --force --sign - /Applications/Microsoft\ Office\ 2008/Microsoft\ Excel.app

I am not sure whether or not the re-signing step helped the system remember the settings. You can read about code signing here:

http://forums.macnn.com/79/developer-center/355720/how-re-sign-apples-applicatio ns-once/

keeps asking to accept incoming network connections for iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.