Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i enable my disabled ipod touch 4th generation? ...I had just downloaded my first app when someone stole it. I asked people who might know where its at and luckily a friend was able to get it back for me. only problem was, it was disabled already!

after all ive gone through with it in just a days time of actually being able to use, its stolen,but luckily I got it bac,\k, but then unlucky its disabled when i get it back. didnt have a computer i could downlaod itunes on and connect to my ipod via usb cable. Finally, my friend brings me her laptop computer and I download the app. yesss. then i connect ipod. nothing happened at first. still said ipod disabled connect to itunes on display. then after i exited out of the various windows i opened to get it to its current position. bam, out of no where it sends out a notification sound and its showing itunes logo with a usb cable beneath it arrow in midst of the two pointing to i tunes. wallah itunes shows ipod touch on left and displays downlaod process after i answered various questions to allow it to downlaod updates and restore my ipod. . i was excited and relieved needless to say... why am I here now though, with what seems to be the same problem. you see it downloads a part of the file then about 20 mins into it or less than 25% through, i hear a beep sound from my ipod again. no it wasn"t finished with download as i had eexpected it to say but instead it said itunes was unable to access my ipods files cause my ipod had a password protection on it and that i needed to enter that password on my ipod first in order for the itunes app be able to access it.!!! HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANYBODY SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. I HAVE TO CONNECT TO ITUNES TO REENABLE IT BUT WHEN I DO THAT, I CAN DO IT TIL I ENTER MY PASSWORD ON IPOD FIRST , WHICH CANT ACCESS PASSWORD OVERRIDE SCREEN UNTIL ITS CONNECTED TO ITUNES. BACK AND FORTH BACK AND FORTH. SOMEBODY PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME ASAP BEFORE MY FRIEND COMES FOR HER LAPTOP BACK.. ANY HELP WHATSOEVER PLEASE . THANKS A BUNCH FOR AT LEAST TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS IF NOTHING AT ALL COMES OF IT. I APPRECIATE IT NONE THE LESS. THANKS

<Email Edited By Host>

iPod touch, iOS 4, not sure of os but its a 4th GEN

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:07 AM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2013 6:52 PM in response to pinto123

There might be a problem with your hosts file. If you are using a windows pc: Computer. Then search system32. Click that and go to drivers folder. Then click on etc. open up hosts. The file should look like this

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

If you see gs.apple.com then delete the line. Be sure to make a backup of the file first. Save the file then go into recovery mode and try the restore.

Nov 12, 2013 5:57 AM in response to pinto123

Try:

- Powering off and then back on your router.

- iTunes for Windows: iTunes cannot contact the iPhone, iPad, or iPod software update server

- Change the DNS to either Google's or Open DNS servers

Public DNS — Google Developers

OpenDNS IP Addresses

- For one user uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes resolved the problem

- Try on another computer/network

- Wait if it is an Apple problem

pinto123 wrote:

i did every thing you said and when i went to restore this is what happened: the ipod software update server can not be contacted. make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later. what do i do to restore. i used the last way to do it the dfu

how do i enable my disabled ipod touch 4th generation? ...I had just downloaded my first app when someone stole it. I asked people who might know where its at and luckily a friend was able to get it back for me. only problem was, it was disabled already!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.