Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't scroll through apps in file sharing

I have iTunes 11.0 on OSX 10.8.2.

I wanted to drag a file to an app on my iPad, but can't scroll down to the app in question in iTunes/Devices/iPad/Apps/File Sharing/Apps.

I tried scrolling in my iPhone's apps with the same problem.

Scrolling my magic mouse, it is like it's on a rubber band, and I can see maybe one more app before bouncing back.

Changing the resolution of my screen, I can make the iTunes window bigger, to reach more apps. Is this a known bug? Is there another way I can get a file into one of those apps?

OS X Mountain Lion, Home workgroup

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:39 AM

6 replies

Dec 11, 2012 6:29 AM in response to Howard Brazee

I found what caused the problem. Apple changed the way to scroll these windows. To get to the bottom apps, I need to move the cursor outside of that window (to the right), and scroll both the Apps and Documents windows together.

The fact that the apps window appears to start to scroll seems to be a leftover.

Trouble is, that means the documents also scroll off the top, so I have to find the app I want, select it, then scroll back to see the documents associated with that app.

May 30, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Howard Brazee

This unintuitive behavior described by Howard, above, persists in iTunes 12.

It is not obvious,but in the Apps window, the Apps pane and its associated Documents pane to the right are slaved together, and can only be scrolled to their limits by use of the scroll bar at the very right edge of the Apps window. If you have your scroll bars set to disappear unless you move them, this can be quite confusing.

Selecting an app in the middle of a long list requires scrolling down both App and Document panes simultaneously, then clicking on the app in the Apps pane, then scrolling both panes back up to see the selected app's documents. The selected app in the Apps pane will no longer be visible when viewing the top of its associated Documents list, because the selected app has been scrolled below the lower edge of the Apps pane. This adds to the confusion.

Why can't iTunes 12 be fixed so either the Apps pane or the Documents pane could be scrolled individually?

Users like me, with hundreds of apps and documents would then get the scrolling behavior they expect.

May 30, 2015 8:43 AM in response to tfeledy

To things to add to the above post:

1) The "slaved" window scrolling behavior occurs only in the File Sharing portion of the Apps window - the lower part, below the Apps section at the top of the window. The Apps section also has two panes, a listing of apps on the left, and images of your iOS screens on the right. But these two panes have separate scroll bars and may be scrolled separately - unlike the two panes of the File Sharing panes below.

2) The two buttons, "Add" and "Save to...", mentioned in About File Sharing on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support can only be seen at the very bottom of the Apps window. You can only see them if by using the scroll bar at the right edge of the window to scroll to the last app in your File Sharing list. This gets confusing with a long list of apps, because by the time you've scrolled down to the Add and Save To buttons, you no longer see the app you've selected OR its associated documents.

All this unintuitive window behavior in the File Sharing window could easily be eliminated by (1) moving the Add and Save To buttons so they remain visible, and (2) adding separate scroll bars to the Apps and Documents panes. Users like me, with 64 Gb iPads loaded with hundreds of document-handling apps would be most grateful.

Can't scroll through apps in file sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.