Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We have applications that can only use Java 6.x. Java 7 is not supported. Can Java 6.x be installed on OS X 7 and 8?

Our workplace (a large research university) uses both Win and Mac based desktops/laptops. We are about to deploy an enterprise-wide ERP system whose components are web-based. The components the components are support I.E. & Firefox browsers, so this is not a problem for the Mac OS X users. The components only support Java 6.x. Users of OS X 10.6.x and lower can use Java 6.x since Apple supports this. However, OS X 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion) seem to only support Java 7.x which is not supported by our new ERP system.

Is it possible to install Java 6.x on OS X 10.7 and 10.8 desktops/laptops? I've viewed http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5493 but that doesn't specifically answer this question.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:44 AM

10 replies

Nov 30, 2012 8:24 AM in response to macjack

Do you know exactly what this does? I don't have Java, and was thinking about testing this in a virtual machine, but if you know the answer it would make life much simpler! 🙂

Does this revert to the older (and insecure) version of Java 6, or does it simply enable a fully-updated web applet plug-in that is installed but disabled? Looks like the latter, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Nov 30, 2012 8:30 AM in response to thomas_r.

AFAIK it just re-installs the older software, insecurities and all. I haven't tested, I don't have the time to stop and do it now, but if you have a clone you can give it a shot. I'd imagine it installs Java 6 v_35.

I have a clone that is updated every evening, so I don't mind testing on it. If you can't do it, I'll give it a shot over the weekend.

Nov 30, 2012 9:30 AM in response to macjack

Okay, I just tested this on a Parallels virtual machine running 10.8.2, which I created last week sometime. It was a completely untouched system, so it didn't have Java installed. I installed Java, then ran the commands in that support article. After, checking the Java version in the Terminal reported 1.6.0_37, which is the secure version. Next, I went here:

http://javatester.org/version.html

That also reported that the version of the Java web applet plugin was 1.6.0_37. So it would appear these instructions do give you a safe version of Java, not the older insecure version. Very good! I've been wondering about that, but just never made time to check on it.

Nov 30, 2012 10:29 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thank-you everyone for your feedback. I think this is the story. If anyone can verify, thanks!!

Mac OS X 10.6 and lower has Java 6.x as part of the operating system and does not need to be separately installed (nor CAN it be separately installed).

Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8 (“Lion” and “Mountain Lion”) do not have Java in the operating system. Therefore, users who need Java must go to java.com and install it themselves. However, only Java 7.x can be installed.

Upgrading from OS X 10.6 or lower to OS X 10.7 or 10.8 turns off Java (since it was part of the older OS which the user is replacing with a new OS). However, it seems that the older version of Java is still there, simply turned off. Running a bash shell (UNIX) script (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559) can remove Java 7.x and re-activate Java 6 to the latest version, Java 6.37. But this only works if the Mac ever had 6.x in the first place (i.e., was running OS X 10.6 or older).

Newer Macs (purchased after July 2011) came with OS X 7.x (“Lion”); after July 2012, 8.x (“Mountain Lion”). It may not be possible to install Java 6.x on these models without downgrading to OS X 6.x (10.6.8 is the latest version) which runs Java 6.37 for Mac.

An alternative is to configure your desktop/laptop as dual boot (e.g., with Paralles or Fusion VM) so you can run Windows-7 for apps that must use Java 6.x or, alternately, have OS X 10.6 and OS X 10.7 or higher on the same machine.

Nov 30, 2012 10:38 AM in response to MetroJerry

Not quite. 10.7 and 10.8 do not have any Java runtime installed, regardless of whether it was installed as an upgrade, was installed "cleanly" or came preinstalled.

To install a Java runtime on 10.7 or 10.8, you have two options. One is to download Java 7 from Oracle, as you say. The other is to simply try to open something that requires Java (like the Java Preferences app), at which time you will be asked if you want to install Java, and then a Java 6 runtime (specifically, Java 1.6.0_37 at this time) will be installed. You can then re-enable the Java 1.6.0_37 web applet plug-in using the Apple support document referred to by macjack.

We have applications that can only use Java 6.x. Java 7 is not supported. Can Java 6.x be installed on OS X 7 and 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.