Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shuffling between windows in an active application like Safari - assigning a keyboard shortcut doesn't work!

Hi all!

In Lion I was able to assign a keyboard shortcut to move focus to the next window in an active application, such as Safari or Word. I used a comfortable shortcut cmd+< and it's worked perfectly. Now I just upgraded to Mountain Lion, and I can't assign this shortcut anymore, it simply doesn't work.

Is the command I'm putting wrong? I tried:

Move focus to next window in active application

Move focus to next window

Move focus to active or next window

None of these work. Using Safari is frustrating now, since I have to stick with using tabs in the same window - but I'm used to my way of multitasking which might include many windows with many tabs, and I've been comfortably shuffling between them throughout Lion.

My keyboard is in Finnish languages since the laptop is Finnish, but I'm using English (US) only.

Help is much appreciated! Thanks! 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 9:24 AM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2012 10:48 AM in response to Eric Root

Hey, thanks for the links! It seems I'm not the only one struggling with this. Unfortunately none of them work. The cmd + ´ or cmd + ` does not work. The cmd + ` is in addition a command where to get to the ` I have to press a shift in my keyboard. The cmd + - only shrinks the tab, doesn't shuffle between windows. The one with F4 also does not work - and would be clumsy anyway.

Here is my keyboard: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v2/585833544_1/Brand-NEW-15-4-Swedish-font-b-Fin nish-b-font-Laptop-font-b-Keyboard-b-font.jpg

But why doesn't keyboard assigning work? If I could just get the cmd + < working again as it used to work with me, that'd make the most sense.

Thanks!! 🙂

Shuffling between windows in an active application like Safari - assigning a keyboard shortcut doesn't work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.