Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated apps on iPhone 5 won't sync with iTunes 11.

I have upgraded to iTunes 11 early this morning.

I also haven't synced my iPhone 5 in a few days. So iTunes 11 was showing that I have 21 apps that needed an update. So I decided to sync my iPhone 5 to iTunes 11. It however did not download the latest updates of those 21 apps. As it has in the past with previous iTunes and previous devices, iPod Touch 3rd gen.

I have both devices set up for iCloud back up. As well as sync over WiFi.

I synced the iPhone 5 while unplugged 3 times and once plugged in. Either way, the apps in iTunes are not updated. The reason why 3 times while unplugged, is because there were other issues.

One time the status bar at the bottom told me that I had 2GB left of free space, while the iPhone showed me 16GBs.

Another time it showed the correct GB used/free. But everything being used was labled as "Other", all 16GB.

The 3rd time, the status bar showed what it was supposed to show, Music xxGB, Pictures xxGB and so on. However, the apps never updated.

Mac Mini server 2010 10.8.2

iTunes 11.0

iPhone 5 6.0.2

iPod Touch 3rd 5.x.x (whatever the latest is avaible for 3rd gen)

KOT

Mac mini Server (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:10 AM

10 replies

Nov 30, 2012 11:41 PM in response to Kingoftypos

Now there's another issue.

I plugged my iPod Touch in to charge while I was at work. Turned it on and noticed there were 25 apps on the device needing updates. So I synced it and now only 20 apps are needing updates. The same 20(21 minus an app that requires a camera) as iTunes needs updates for.

Which is great because I know that the apps will download from iTunes to the device...

Or so I thought. I updated the apps via iTunes, all 21 of them. Then I synced my iPod Touch to it. Only 11 of them updated, which leaves 9 left needing an update on the iPod Touch.

KOT

Dec 1, 2012 12:52 PM in response to Kingoftypos

iTunes 11 appears to have changed the way apps sync. Apps will only sync if they are being added or removed. Updates won't sync as part of the "sync" process.

To get updates to sync, you have to do a "Backup". That will sync all updated versions after the backup completes. I guess that's so the version on the PC matches the version on the device.

I can kind of understand why this was done. For one thing it makes syncing a lot faster as it skips all the app updates and for another updates can be done on the devices and computers themselves so it's not like it's not possible to get the update. On the flip side though, it requires downloading updates multiple times.

Dec 18, 2012 2:46 PM in response to Craig Gee

I've also found that right clicking and choose "transfer purchases" also works if you don't want to do a backup.

Basically updates that are done on the iPhone/iPad won't automatically transfer over during a sync like they used to. I've been told updates done in iTunes will transfer over, but I haven't tried that.

Jan 14, 2013 4:42 AM in response to Kingoftypos

Hi,

I might be stupid but none of your suggestions seems to work!

I have tried transfer purchases, the backup and through the app store. None is working!!!

I have 59 apps to update and I have no clue where to do it on iTunes!!! 😠

I can't do it straight on the phone, as there are to many to sync!

And WHY the **** did they change the way of updating the apps??? It was so easy before!

Please help, cause I am starting to get very annoyed by this new iPhone 5!

(I have some more issues with it)

Thanks

Jan 15, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Kingoftypos

Hi,

I found the solution for this problem somewhere else I can't remember where because I read so many posts and tried so many things.

I don't know what criteria Apple iTunes 11 is using to sync apps with iphone and ipad, but I don't think it is only with updated apps. I downloaded an app I didn't have in my iTunes Library, used it for a while, then updated it through Appstore in the iphone, and it was synced with iTunes...

Well, to transferr ALL your apps from iPhone or iPad to your iTunes Library do the following:

1. Conect your device to iTunes.

2. Click on the iPhone or iPad once it appears on the left.

(My iTunes is in Portuguese, so I don't know if the translation will be accurate, but I think it'll do)

3. Go to File > Devices > Transfers purchases from "name of your device"...

😎

It'll start transfering all apps from your iPhone or iPad to your iTunes Library!

Oct 23, 2015 2:23 AM in response to Kingoftypos

I'm experiencing this issue too for some weeks now, since upgrade to iOS 9.0.1 and have iTunes 12.3. I tried all the solutions above, but it doesn't seem to resolve this issue. I also tried something completely different, clicking the magic-button 'Reset Sync History' in Preferences > Devices, but that didn't change anything either. If somebody has another solution, and would like to share it, I would be very kind 🙂

Updated apps on iPhone 5 won't sync with iTunes 11.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.