Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete version 11, reinstall version 10.7

Im not happywith itunes version 11. How do I delete it and install version 10.7?

I Mac, Mac OS X (10.5.5), I Mac, IPhone, I Pod

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:57 AM

9 replies

Nov 30, 2012 1:39 PM in response to DrRonM

=Downgrading from iTunes 11 to iTunes 10.7=

You may be able to go back with Time Machine but this may involve restoring other items too (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4554293?answerId=20441404022#20441404022). Alternatively:

Back up your computer first, in case the unexpected happens.

Get iTunes 10.7. Apple does not keep many old versions on its web site. I always install iTunes by downloading the installer and then keep it on my archive drive so I can have access to old versions. This one is no longer openly linked on Apple's site:

iTunes 10.7 for OS X http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes10/041-7195.20120912.d3uzQ/iTunes10.7.dmg

Replace the iTunes 11 application with iTunes 10.7. Lion (OSX 10.7) and newer systems have iTunes integrated into the operating system and deleting is a bit more involved. The two ways I can think of to do this are:

1. Use the shareware Pacifist utility (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to install iTunes 10.7 including all associated system files.

2. Check this reference on how to delete the iTunes application itself:

Delete iTunes in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion - http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/13/delete-itunes-in-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

In addition there may be other files that need downgrading too. See the note about error -42408 at the end of this post. You may want to tuck these away somewhere safe until you have completed the installation of iTunes 10.7. I have not tested this but ideally if newer versions are not found then the installer will put in the old versions. This may include these files in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ which apparently get updated by iTunes 11:

AirTrafficHost.framework
CoreFP.framework
DeviceLink.framework
iTunesAccess.framework
MobileDevice.framework

After replacing the application and associated files using one of the above methods you will have to rescue your old iTunes library from your iTunes > Previous Libraries folder and rename it "iTunes Library.itl" (replacing the existing one in the iTunes folder) because a newer version of iTunes irreversibly updates your library file. Note, this will revert your library to version at the time of the upgrade and you will have to update any changes made since. See:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4544824?answerId=20401436022#20401436022 - turingtest2 11/2012 post on rebuilding empty/corrupt library from previous iTunes library file after upgrade/crash.

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1451

Other issues:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4553961?answerId=20432309022#20432309022 - solution to mobile devices saying they need to be restored after downgrading

If you encounter error-42408:

iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3297 > Specific Conditions and Alert Messages: (Mac OS X / Windows) - including specific error codes.

Alternatively, check https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4556384?answerId=20441424022#20441424022 which requires you have a Time Machine backup (though possibly if you remove the newer version of these files old ones may be installed with the iTunes 10.7 installer - untested).

Dec 3, 2012 8:36 AM in response to DrRonM

After working on this problem for three hours, I managed to get iTunes 10.7 installed

By combining suggestions from all over, the place (thanks everyone!,) this combination worked for me

Uninstalling and Reinstalling ITunes

iTunes Store

12/3/12 7:23 AM

Step 1:

· Launch iTunes.

· Click “File” and select “Export Library” to save your iTunes library if necessary.

· Quit iTunes when you have finished exporting the library.

Step 2:

· Click “Finder” and select “Applications” from the left sidebar.

· Drag and drop the “iTunes” icon from the “Applications” folder to the “Trash” icon in your dock or on your desktop.

Step 3:

· Click “Go” in the “Finder” menu and select “Utilities.”

· Double-click “Activity Monitor,” select “iTunes Helper” and then click “Quit Process.”

Step 4:

· Click the “Apple” menu and select “System Preferences.”

· Click “Accounts” and then click the “Login Items” tab.

· Click the “iTunes Helper” entry and then click the subtraction sign to remove it from the auto-start list.

Step 5:

· Restart your computer.

· After your Mac has restarted, right-click the “Trash” icon in your dock or on your desktop and select “Empty Trash.”

Step 6:

· Click “Finder,” select “Go” and then “Go to Folder.”

· Enter “~/Library/” in the text box and press “Enter.”

· Drag and drop the “iTunes” folder to the “Trash” icon.

Step 7:

· Double-click the “Preferences” folder and delete all files beginning with “com.apple.iTunes” by dragging and dropping those files to the Trash.

Step 8:

· Double-click the “ByHost” folder and delete all files beginning with “com.apple.iTunes” by dragging and dropping those files to the Trash.

Step 9:

· Right-click “Trash” and select “Empty Trash.”

Step 10:

·

Note: I didn’t do this.
I got v.10.7 from another place (http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes.)

Step 11:

· Download the version of iTunes you want to install on your Mac.

Step 12:

· Open your “Downloads” folder and double-click the iTunes installation file to install an old version of iTunes.

Step 13:

· Launch iTunes after installation is complete.

· Click “File” and select “Import.”

· Select the iTunes library file you exported previously to restore your iTunes library.

If this happens...

An unknown error occurred (–42408)

Remove the SC Info folder

If you are still unable to authorize your computer to play your purchases, you may be able to resolve your issue by removing the "SC Info" folder.
To do so, follow these steps:

Mac OS X

1. Quit iTunes and any other open applications until only Finder is open.

2. Choose Go > Go to Folder.

3. Type /Users/Shared/SC Info and click Go.

4. If Finder is not already set to column view, set it by choosing View > as Columns.

5. Select the SC Info folder and move it to the Trash by choosing File > Move to Trash.

6. Restart the computer and open iTunes.

7. Authorize your computer to play your purchases.

Note: If you have multiple accounts you will need to authorize your computer for each account.

Then if this happens...

“The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created with a newer version of iTunes”

Close iTunes

Go to your iTunes folder –– it's either under:

· My Documents\My Music\iTunes\

· \Users\username\Music\iTunes\

(Make sure that it's right one by looking at the Time & Date of the FIle (should be the same, as the last time you closed iTunes)

Drag the iTunes Library file from the above location to the Desktop.

Open the Previous iTunes Libraries folder in the iTunes folder.

Locate the file named iTunes Library YYYY-MM-DD where YYYY-MM-DD is the date you upgraded iTunes (Year-Month-Day).

Drag this file to the iTunes folder (the enclosing folder).

Rename this file to iTunes Library.

Open iTunes.

Using “import library” in iTunes, I then reinstalled my library from the day before I put in the new iTunes.

(In my case, I used Time Machine)

However, all of my playlists were wiped out

Smarter folks than me can fill in the details, but this worked for me after all else failed.

<Link Edited by Host>

Dec 3, 2012 8:29 AM in response to blorvis

There is no need to export your library (step 1) and import your library (very end) if you are using your previous library file.

Step 10. No need for the hackintosh site. First, Apple will chase down sites that offer downloads of its software, especially Mac versions. They also do notl like us posting links to those sites. Second, old versions are still available on Apple's site (my post is already a bit dated).

Dec 13, 2012 7:32 PM in response to blorvis

so i get the 42408 error message but in Users/Shared, i don't have a SC Info folder. I'm using OS X 10.6.8 if that makes a difference. Also my iPod doesnt show up in iTunes. It will say connected on the iPod and show up on the desktop but it won't appear in iTunes. Did it possibly get updated by iTunes 11 and now won't run with 10.7. Am I going to have to reset/reconfigure it?

I hate iTunes 11, why did Apple do this to us?

Help me, please

Dec 14, 2012 8:08 AM in response to rlph.morris

The below is a combination of blogs and my own trial and error. Good luck

Before Step 1 Google Pacifist (Apple or Mac will show) and download it and get it ready to go. Then find a place to download previous version, as in Step 10 below but I had it ready.

Step 1:

Launch iTunes.

Click “File” and select “Export Library” to save your iTunes library if necessary. (Probably not if you have it on an external hard drive. Still all your playlists will be gone)

Quit iTunes when you have finished exporting the library.

Step 2:

Click “Finder” and select “Applications” from the left sidebar.

Drag and drop the “iTunes” icon from the “Applications” folder to the “Trash” icon in your dock or on your desktop. (Most likely you won’t be able to do this so right click on the icon, go to Get Info, at the bottom you will see where you can select Read/Write etc. First unlock it (at the very bottom) then change all of the options to Read/Write the lock it again. Then delete it)

Step 3:

Click “Go” in the “Finder” menu and select “Utilities.”

Double-click “Activity Monitor,” select “iTunes Helper” and then click “Quit Process.” (upper left)

Step 4:

Click the “Apple” menu and select “System Preferences.”

Click “Accounts” (mine was under System then Users and Groups) and then click the “Login Items” tab.

Click the “iTunes Helper” entry and then click the subtraction sign to remove it from the auto-start list.

Step 5:

Restart your computer.

After your Mac has restarted, right-click the “Trash” icon in your dock or on your desktop and select “Empty Trash.”

Step 6:

Click “Finder,” select “Go” and then “Go to Folder.”

Enter “~/Library/” in the text box and press “Enter.”

Drag and drop the “iTunes” folder to the “Trash” icon.

Step 7:

Double-click the “Preferences” folder and delete all files beginning with “com.apple.iTunes” by dragging and dropping those files to the Trash.

Step 8:

Double-click the “ByHost” folder and delete all files beginning with “com.apple.iTunes” by dragging and dropping those files to the Trash.

Step 9:

Right-click “Trash” and select “Empty Trash.”

Step 10:

Download an earlier version (http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes.)

Step 11:

Run Pacifist, the top box that says Open Package is the one to click on. Then it will bring you to a Finder window, go to Downloads and click on the iTunes version whatever dmg that you downloaded. If Pacifist ask to Replace a file say yes so it will overwrite any files from the previous install.

Then open iTunes and enjoy putting everything back the way you had it.

delete version 11, reinstall version 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.