Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sleep mode versus standby mode (2009 MBP)?

i have been trying to read up on this issue as i have never been able to tell when and how i am waking my computer from sleep.

before getting a new battery of a new logic board a couple of weeks ago i had found that unless i actually plug the machine in - more often than not the computer simply ends up powering down even after closing the lid. and then i have to plug it in and run the wake from powered down routine.

so basically i am getting a very late jump on trying to understand what is going on here despite the fact that this computer is almost 3 years old.

some quick questions:

1. does this computer go into "standby mode" after some period of time and is there a way to TELL if it has gone into standby mode (say with the flashing light)?

2. does it matter whether i put it into sleep by running a pulldown to SLEEP or by shutting the lid in any way?!

3. is standby mode supposed to get me more battery life and if so - well - is there some practical way to figure out if it is working?

4. when OPENING THE LID or when trying to WAKE FROM SLEEP/STANDYE when the lid is opened but i have manually put it into sleep mode - does "sleep" mode basically WAKE ALMOST IMMEDIATELY and "standby" take 10 - 15 seconds to go from a BLACK SCREEN to the computer being on so i can see my desktop?

TIA!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), with 64 bit Win7 Parallels

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 11:44 AM

1. Standby mode is on a pc. No standby mode on a Mac.

2. No.

3. No standby mode.

4. Takes 10-15 seconds. No need to select sleep form the Apple menu and then close the lid. Just close the lid.

5 replies

Nov 30, 2012 12:31 PM in response to sig

sig wrote:

1. Standby mode is on a pc. No standby mode on a Mac.

I was surprised too, but Apple themselves actually does use "standby" terminology for Macs.

Mac notebooks: About standby mode (Apple support doc from last month)

hotwheels 22 wrote:

1. does this computer go into "standby mode" after some period of time and is there a way to TELL if it has gone into standby mode (say with the flashing light)?

2. does it matter whether i put it into sleep by running a pulldown to SLEEP or by shutting the lid in any way?!

Your questions might be answered in the link above, which goes over the conditions for standby on sleep and wake.

Nov 30, 2012 3:04 PM in response to Network 23

hi sig, network 23.

thanks guys. i was just about to jump on as i finally printed and read the link from my link which is also posted above. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392

i think i just have a 2009 13" MBP that acts in a totally bizarre fashion. i mean, i THOUGHT i had finally figured out what was going on with this machine by reading the link above which explains a 10 second delay for getting a machine out of "standby" mode which the computers listed above (mostly 2013 retina models) go into /after/ having been in sleep mode for 1 hour. the link explains how to get a computer to NOT go into standby so that the writer does not have to wait for the long delay druing his workday.

this whole thing is totally bizarre because the article /ALSO/ explains why i see the TIME that i shut down my machine when i open the computer again in the morning (i.e. it says 11:00 PM when i am opening it again at 8:15 AM the next morning!) and it SPECIFICALLY attributes this to a "standby mode" in the second paragraph. it also attributes the 10 second delay to "standby mode" and i get this as well.

frankly the whole thing has been totally befuddling to me but i have only been paying attention to it now that i have a machine with a new battery and a new logic board so that it lasts longer than an hour and a half and i don't have to keep it plugged in all the time. i mean, i am not even sure if i ever really USED sleep mode since i've never used it off the battery due to the short life - but i can say that i have never understood what is going on when it i try to wake it.

half the time after forgetting to keep it plugged in i used to have to plug it in and charge it so that it "wakes" from no battery left mode (whatever that is called).

is there a /reason/ why i see the time that i closed the lid on my machine when i open it the next morning? is this normal?

am i correct in my reading of the mac tech article that my 2009 machine DOES NOT have standby mode? surely this does not depend on the OS or does it?!

is there any rhyme or reason to why the machine will come back almost immediately sometimes and at other times it will require me to hit the keys four or five times? i mean, maybe next time if i just wait 10 - 15 seconds it will come up without hitting the keys?

this is all so bizarre...

sleep mode versus standby mode (2009 MBP)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.