Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rating songs via Remote app

I used to be able to change a song's rating via the Remote App. With the 3.0 Remote App upgrade, this capability seems to have been lost on the iPod Touch platform, but is still available from the iPad. Am I missing something???

iPod touch, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:23 PM

54 replies

Dec 1, 2012 1:41 AM in response to DigitalOxygen.ca

Guys

I have found a solution that lets you downgrade to the previous version of the remote app :-)

Tested and it works: -

When apps are updated through iTunes, tiny .ipa files are sent to the computer’s Trash or Recycle Bin. As apps are updated, the previous version’s files are sent here for deletion. Instead of deleting these, drag them to your desktop.

To restore an app to its older version, open up iTunes and look at your Apps list. Find the app in question and delete it. Next, drag the correct version file from the desktop into the Apps Library in iTunes.

Next, Delete the app from your iphone

Finally, sync your device. The app is now restored to a previous version.

Dec 1, 2012 10:22 AM in response to i2bjammin

Seems like there is also some unrest over other missing features, like the ability to vote for songs played by the iTunes DJ.

Maybe Apple was just under pressure to make this major release and will add these features back in a future version.

On the plus side, I find 3.0 to be much faster, and I like the ability to edit the Up Next queue for any playlist. Before, you had to go into iTunes to set the DJ playlist to have that capability.

Dec 4, 2012 7:24 AM in response to i2bjammin

I find removing the rating feature from the latest update of Remote app utterly disappointing. It proves there are still people lacking imagination at Apple (no offense to those who makt things usually brilliant) Come on Apple stop making one step ahead followed by two steps back. Just bring this essential feature back to the app.

Dec 4, 2012 6:58 PM in response to i2bjammin

Noticed the same thing in version 3.0 of the app on an iPhone. Please bring this feature back!! Rating songs from the remote app is a great way to gradually add ratings to the library ... my use case: play a bunch of stuff on random, or from smart playlists, then from elsewhere in the house, tap the ratings when you stumble upon a great (or bad) song.

Dec 13, 2012 7:29 PM in response to i2bjammin

@Juharr - the issue is not in iTunes 11 but indeed with the Remote App.

I have tried the latest Remote App on an iPad as well and the ratings feature is there, albeit very hidden (when connected to iTunes 11).

• in the progress bar area, click on the cover art, this enlarges the cover
  • click on the enlarged cover, this should bring up a sub-menu
  • click on the list icon in lower right.
  • ratings option is there.

Somewhat misleading, because if you click on the list icon from the main screen, you get the up-next menu.

Oddities like this are unfortunately no longer surprising. The mismatched Video & Music apps in iOS (iPhone vs iPad) are disappointing too, with features like Search disappearing.

Rating songs via Remote app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.