Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Stuck Booting

A friend gave me their macbook to see if I could get it going. The first time I pugged it in and it booted just fine. I logged in and looked at the pictures (40+GB) and it got stuck loading. The second time the same thing happened with documents. Ever since then it gets stuck at the spinning circle and the apple logo during boot. I currently have it booting into safe mode (Shift+Comm+V).

It is stuck at

disk0s2; I/O error .

disk0s2; I/O error .

disk0s2; I/O error .

disk0s2; I/O error .

disk0s2; I/O error .

Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing...

Then it added

disk0s2; media is not present .

What else can I try? Is it bricked? They have informed me that it has been taken to the apple store and they were told that it was a $300 hard drive repair but I'm not sure I buy it.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:14 PM

8 replies

Nov 30, 2012 5:09 PM in response to PaladinPerrin95

Does the MBP have silver or black keys? If the former it is a moderately difficult swap, if the latter it is much easier. I have done both. The OWC website has installation videos for both which one can watch and determine if they are up to the task.

If no one else reads this post who can explain the error codes, I suggest another trip to the Apple store for a second opinion. If the diagnosis is the same, $300 is a premium to pay for what I view as a easy installation.

Ciao.

Nov 30, 2012 6:30 PM in response to PaladinPerrin95

Just to make certain, is this a silver aluminum case or a white plastic case? If it is the latter, that would be a Macbook, not a Macbook Pro which means that you are on the incorrect forum. You are excused this time. The issues are the same (just stupid humor on my part).

The OWC website has instructions for HDD swaps for Macbooks as well so this is not a show stopper.

Ciao.

MacBook Stuck Booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.