Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Apple ID only valid for the Apple store in one country (Ireland) even though I have moved to and live in the USA?

I have moved from Ireland to the USA and now (legally) live in Seattle. When I try to login to the iTunes store here in the USA, I get a message telling me that my Apple ID is only valid for purchases from the Ireland iTunes store. What moron put in a restriction like that? Apple is now telling me that although I can legally move from one country to another and take up residence, I can not travel globally with my Apple ID? What use is having an Apple ID then as I can travel and buy globally with Amazon?

Windows 7, iTunes & store for the PC

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:06 PM

18 replies

Nov 30, 2012 3:11 PM in response to tomhalton

Right. You will need to establish a new iTunes account in the US iTunes Store as well as get another Apple ID tied to a US mail provider. You will also need a US charge card issued by a US bank. The billing address must be the one for the charge card.

I think you will find Amazon is much the same. If I sign into Amazon.com they check which mailing address I have set. If it's my Canadian address they tell me they cannot ship to that address because I'm purchasing from the US.

Nov 30, 2012 3:22 PM in response to Kappy

Actually no - i do not find this with amazon - i have been able to buy from multiple stores internationally while living in one country - all I need to be prepared to do is pay the taxes and shipping required. Amazon also allow me to keep the same account and just change the credit card(s) and billing addresses associated with them in whatever country I choose. Now there's a global digital retailer who understands mobility and customer satisfaction!

I resent having to create another ID and lose the ability to keep all my purchase history together. Whoever designed this customer experience really does not have a clue.

I used to love Apple - now I'm incensed at Apples total lack of understanding of what it really is like being a mobile consumer - but hey I guess that just shows why Apple will eventually hit the skids!

Nov 30, 2012 3:26 PM in response to tomhalton

Do NOT create another ID. Change the country of your present ID.

App Store Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2001 when using iTunes --> "To change countries, scroll to the end of the iTunes Store home page and click the flag indicating the current country. To choose a different country, click the appropriate flag."

iOS: Changing the signed-in iTunes Store account - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1311 - Change your iTunes Store country: "Sign in to the account for the iTunes Store region you'd like to use. Tap Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Apple ID: > View Apple ID > Country/Region."

You will, of course, need to change your address and enter valid credit card information after you have changed the settings.

iTunes Store: Changing Account Information - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1918

Further tips on changing country - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4435728?answerId=20029737022#20029737022 - problems you encounter when changing iTunes country

Realize, however, just as you can no longer visit your old public library in Ireland you also no longer have access to the store or your purchases made there. You can continue to use them as they are on your computer now but that makes it all the more important you maintain backups in case of loss. If you upgrade an app I think you will have to pay for it again since you no longer have access to the Irish Store.

Nov 30, 2012 3:41 PM in response to tomhalton

Exactly my point. Amazon requires I switch from one country to another using appropriate credit cards and billing addresses. That way I have no problems buying in Canada or the US. That's what I explained. Surely, if that isn't a problem for you with Amazon, why is it a problem with Apple? They are requiring the same thing: A valid US billing address; A US bank issued credit card; A separate account for whichever country you are in at the time.

But, gee, if it's such an aggravation, then don't buy anything from Apple online while here in the US. Wait until you return to Ireland.

Dec 4, 2012 6:37 AM in response to tomhalton

I sure do understand your frustration. I am an American tax-paying citizen and have lived in the Netherlands for many years. I have investments and bank accounts - with online access - in the U.S., as well as here in the Netherlands.

My U.S. banks and my U.S. brokerage firm have mobile apps for the iPods and iPads. BUT I can't get them from the U.S. store!--- Since I have my Apple gear (iPod's iPads) registered to me here at my Netherlands address, I'm limited to the Dutch store.

I've also been using Quicken since the mid-80's, but their new mobile app for the iPhone/iPad is only available in the U.S. store.

I find Apple's store policy extremely restrictive. They should take a lesson from Amazon.com - I've had an Amazon account for years, I can charge to either my U.S. bank VISA card or one of my Netherlands credit cards, and I can buy from any Amazon store.

Did it ever occur to Apple that they have users that are citizens of one country and residents of another?

I wonder if Android apps are restricted by country or not - but it's worth thinking about possibly switching to Samsung if Apple becomes more an more restrictive, (not to mention Adobe Flash!)

rmxpat

Dec 4, 2012 6:45 AM in response to Limnos

We're not talking about brick and mortar stores or libraries or offices - we're talking about 21st century internet shopping, banking, working, and even filing our tax returns and paying our taxes to our home country using the Internet- no matter where we're physically located.

We're talking about new ways of doing almost evrything...

Dec 4, 2012 6:51 AM in response to rmxpat

rmxpat wrote:

I sure do understand your frustration. I am an American tax-paying citizen and have lived in the Netherlands for many years. I have investments and bank accounts - with online access - in the U.S., as well as here in the Netherlands.

My U.S. banks and my U.S. brokerage firm have mobile apps for the iPods and iPads. BUT I can't get them from the U.S. store!--- Since I have my Apple gear (iPod's iPads) registered to me here at my Netherlands address, I'm limited to the Dutch store.

I've also been using Quicken since the mid-80's, but their new mobile app for the iPhone/iPad is only available in the U.S. store.

I find Apple's store policy extremely restrictive. They should take a lesson from Amazon.com - I've had an Amazon account for years, I can charge to either my U.S. bank VISA card or one of my Netherlands credit cards, and I can buy from any Amazon store.

Did it ever occur to Apple that they have users that are citizens of one country and residents of another?

I wonder if Android apps are restricted by country or not - but it's worth thinking about possibly switching to Samsung if Apple becomes more an more restrictive, (not to mention Adobe Flash!)

rmxpat

Did you even read the posts above yours? As was mentioned, an AppleID is NOT restricted to any one country/store. However, the payment information and billing address linked to that AppleID ARE restricted to a given country (by that country's own laws and regulations governing internet commerce). Change your AppleIDs payment and address information to the country you wish to use, and you are free to shop in that country's iTunes store.

Dec 5, 2012 4:40 PM in response to Kappy

Exactly my point! However Amazon lets me keep all my digital purchases (which belong to me and were legally bought) whereas Apple confiscates them - this is tantamount to stealing back what I bought!

Exactly my point. Amazon requires I switch from one country to another using appropriate credit cards and billing addresses. That way I have no problems buying in Canada or the US. That's what I explained. Surely, if that isn't a problem for you with Amazon, why is it a problem with Apple? They are requiring the same thing: A valid US billing address; A US bank issued credit card; A separate account for whichever country you are in at the time.

But, gee, if it's such an aggravation, then don't buy anything from Apple online while here in the US. Wait until you return to Ireland.

Yes it IS an aggravation and worse it's a broken promise to a customer (and I'm not the only person to experience it). Why do you assume I'm leaving (most americans are descended from people who didn't go home in case you forgot)? Why would I bother buying anything again from a vendor who does not honor my purchases because I moved to another country? Is Apple aware that it's a mobile world out here? That's enough from me - I'm just disgusted with Apple (even though I've been a fan since the Apple II). You can post to your hearts content about this, I'm outta here. Bye bye Apple - sayonara!

Dec 5, 2012 4:44 PM in response to Michael Black

However you lose access to all your existing online purchases stored in iTunes if you do that - why should I have to back them up? Why shouldn't I expect a "cloud" vendor of digital content to honor my purchases no matter where I am - I bought everything legally and correctly - but that appears to be too much to expect. Well it's Apples problem from now on - I'm gone!

Dec 5, 2012 4:54 PM in response to Limnos

I realize you are trying to be helpful here but you completely miss my point - my public library in Ireland was:

1. Bricks and Mortar
  2. Free

iTunes/Apple pretends to be a modern global digital content store that charges me for all content they store for me - the whole point is that they are accessible from anywhere at anytime - however the harsh reality is that they do not deliver - period! (and exclamation mark 🙂). Bye bye Apple don't make me cry - it's such sweet sorrow to say goodbye...

Dec 5, 2012 5:52 PM in response to tomhalton

Bricks and mortar or not does not make a difference. International borders do. International laws do. The media owners might decide they don't like a country's copyright laws and tell Apple, "You may not distribute our media in that country, including any form of distribution across international borders." That might well include items already purchased. Just because something is in digital form many similar laws apply as for physical items. It could also be the country's laws. Perhaps Apple simply does not want to have to deal with declaring all your purchases to each country's customs agency?

Apple is NOT "confiscating" your purchases. Confiscating means they take it away from you. Amazon did that with a book on its Kindle device a few years ago and it made a lot of media noise. People woke up one day and it had been deleted remotely. Apple isn't doing that. They simply are not replacing it if you have moved outside the country where you purchased it. You would have to ask them why they cannot send it to you if you lose it but likely there is a nightmare web of international laws and restrictions. Apple itself used to have different versions of its operating system software for different countries. Theoretically you were not allowed to carry a set of the disks out of the USA, probably because they included encryption technology not permitted outside the USA at the time.

Yes, Apple is international, but so are many stores. There's things I can buy in a Walmart down the street that are not legal in another country's Walmart. Even if they are, for example a DVD, I won't find a region 1 copy of The Avengers in a European Walmart.

Feb 24, 2015 10:49 PM in response to tomhalton

I solved this problem by opening itunes and log in to my account then switch country in Account Info. In the process you'll be ask to enter another address and other stuff that are related to the country and also a credit/debit card issued in that country. my account luckily created when there was an option to not put any credit/debit card and everytime i switch country I still have that option.

Mar 4, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Limnos

I know I am replying to a post x2 years old but this really racks me off. Its not just Apple but many US based companies assume international boarders mean they can slap regional restrictions on people and claim they have too because of country laws, but they ignore existing free trade agreements between countries. I live in FR, work in CH, shop in DE and do my banking in the UK. Sounds exotic and weird right? Well for the first three countries I can drive between them in under 30 minutes. For someone living in the USA do they face such restrictions between states? does a New Yorker have to have a Californian credit card to by from Amazon? The guise of country eCommerce law is only a cover for regional pricing (which in the EU is now illegal, ask MS about it).

On top of all that many of these offending sites mandate the language of TOC etc in the country they assume you should be speaking the language of because either your credit card is based there or your IP address is there.

Jun 26, 2015 5:43 AM in response to LostInSwiss

thank you and AMEN. We lived in the US and that's where I created my apple account....now we moved to italy and I am actually from Germany...

I have the same trouble.....I can't change my apple account from US to Italy....it always takes me back to the page where it tells me that my ID is only valid in the US. I can't even change my address to Italy....the system won't let me. If I try to set up a new account....it's also not possible....since I don't want to set up a new email account. so of course the system will tell me....hey, you already have an account. that's a vicious cycle! I tried in the italian itunes store....to use a paypal account for paying....but the system won't let me do this as well...since our address is italian...but our bank account is a german one and it is supposed to be in the country you are buying from. YAY!

I guess I can't win! Will switch to a windows phone and go from there! but that's weird for apple! Amazon is so much better with this kind of expat situations! they accept any card or address....as long as it corresponds with the bank information. THANKS AMAZON for making it a little easier on that front!!!!

Why is my Apple ID only valid for the Apple store in one country (Ireland) even though I have moved to and live in the USA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.