Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I buy WD my passport for MAC or my passport ? for my mac book pro

Hello, I have a mac book pro and prepare to buy a 2TB portable hard drive for it. Should I get Western Digital "my passport for MAC" or "my passport" ? Today I went to apple store and the represetative told me to buy any portable hard drive and format it as FAT 32, so it will be working on both pc and mac. So i am wondering if I should spend CA$199 for "my passport for MAC" or CA$159 for "my passport". If the representative was telling me the truth, so what is the point to purchase the "my passport for MAC" with extra $40 ? Please give me a hand on it and I really appreciate it !!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:41 PM

6 replies

Nov 30, 2012 4:48 PM in response to Francis Tsui

The Apple store representative was correct about the format.

As far as the respective HDDs you mention I cannot give you any empirical information since I have no WD HDDs in my stable. Seagates, Toshibas and Hitachi's. are the ones that I have and all are still spinning.

There are WD cheerleaders and detractors as is for all brands. Being an inherently frugal person I would go for the less expensive one all other things being equal. (Then the purchase of an Apple MBP is not act that a real frugal person would do.)

You might look on the Internet for better prices for the exact same product. OWC, Newegg and Amazon should be investigated.

Ciao.

Nov 30, 2012 5:23 PM in response to Francis Tsui

A quick look at the Newegg and Amazon websites shows only one WD 2TB external HDD. The prices are $180 and $150 respectively and both have USB 3 connectivity. If your MBP is a 2012 model, that would be a wise selection due to the faster data transfer speeds. It may be the 'cheaper' HDD has only a USB 2 capability.

I'm guessing now and you would have to provide me with specific model nos. so that a definitive assessment can be made.

Ciao.

Should I buy WD my passport for MAC or my passport ? for my mac book pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.