Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup problems

I decided for safety to back up my iPad and iPhone to iCloud.

I have iTunes 11.0 on OSX 10.8.2.

I told my iTunes to back up my phone. and it says "Last backed up to iCloud 6/16/12 11:27 AM. I have closed iTunes and opened it and told it to back up now again, and this date doesn't change. I went to my phone, and it started to backup, and while I was on my computer, my phone went dark. I started it, and it appeared to continue before telling me "The last backup could not be completed".

I told iTunes to back up my pad, and it looks as though nothing happens. It says "Last backed up to iCloud: Unknown". I went to my iPad and tried, periodically touching the screen (it is set to a longer on period than my phone is). It backed up OK.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:16 PM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2012 6:28 PM in response to Howard Brazee

If your phone isn't backing up to iCloud, try deleting your last backup by turning off iCloud Backup in Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup, then tap Manage Storage, swipe across your backup and tap Delete, then go back and turn iCloud Backup back on again. If it still won't back up, you may have an app that is preventing the backup from succeeding. To locate which one, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage, tap the name of your device under Backups, under Backup Options tap Show All Apps, then turn them all to Off (including camera roll) and try backing up again. If it succeeds, then the camera roll and/or one of your apps is preventing the backup and you'll have to located by process of elimination. Turn the camera roll On and try backing up again. If it succeeds, turn some of your apps to On and try backing up again. If it succeeds again, turn some more apps to On then try again; repeat this process until it fails. Eventually you'll be able to locate the problem app and exclude it from your backup.

Dec 1, 2012 7:17 AM in response to randers4

You said: "To locate which one, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage, tap the name of your device under Backups, under Backup Options tap Show All Apps, then turn them all to Off (including camera roll) and try backing up again. If it succeeds, then the camera roll and/or one of your apps is preventing the backup and you'll have to located by process of elimination."

I went there on my phone. I see two backups for my iPad. One of them had my 6/16/12 date (same as my phone). I expect I have 2 because I replaced my iPad after my granddaughter dropped my iPad and broke the screen. I usually back up to my computer, but a second backup is safer. I just deleted the old one for my iPad.

Then I set up my phone by turning off each of the backup apps. It turned off the iCloud backup setting. I turned the iCloud backup setting back on and did a backup. Then I returned and turned on everything except camera roll and ran a backup. I don't need the camera roll backed up with my phone backup.

This backup worked (so I switched back to backing up on my computer).

Thanks.

Backup problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.