Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable iTunes 11 type ahead search?

Can this "feature" be disabled with a (hidden) preference? With a large library it makes searching impossible. It simply locks up iTunes on the first letter typed.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), iPhone 4 (5.0.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:09 AM

Apparently you can and it's obvious but not intuitive. Just pull down the submenu in the search field and disable "Seach Entire Library". It then changes to "Search Music". This then works in most of the views (I tried Albums and Artits). If you're in Playlists view it searches the selected playlist. I created a smart playlist called "Music" which has the sole criterion of Media Kind = Music and is live updating. Then you can search that in the old fashion.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2012 5:09 AM in response to Loren Ryter

Apparently you can and it's obvious but not intuitive. Just pull down the submenu in the search field and disable "Seach Entire Library". It then changes to "Search Music". This then works in most of the views (I tried Albums and Artits). If you're in Playlists view it searches the selected playlist. I created a smart playlist called "Music" which has the sole criterion of Media Kind = Music and is live updating. Then you can search that in the old fashion.

Disable iTunes 11 type ahead search?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.