Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't transfer videos to iMovie from card reader

Hi - I hope somebody can help with this - I've researched it and can't find an answer.

I have a Canon Vixia HF R300 with a 16G Sandisk class 10 SD memory card. I have three short video clips on the card (they play back fine in the camera).

I then put the memory card in a Delkin reader pro edition. I get the icon for the reader on the desktop of my iMac (OSX 10.5.8). Trouble is, only one video shows up in the menu, and it is grayed out. When I open iMovie 09, and go to the file - again it only shows one video and it is grayed out. I'm shooting using a AVCHD format (at least I think that's what I'm using - I'm shooting with the default setting - so I don't think it's MP4).

So - the question - how do I get my videos into iMovie using the reader?

I'm new to this (duh), and still learning how to do stuff, sooooo ...

Thank you so much for any help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:10 PM

Open iMovie. Put the card in the reader, and an import window should appear automatically. If it does not, click FILE/IMPORT FROM CAMERA.

If that does not work, get a blank SDHC card and use the camera's menu to Format or Initialize the card. After that shoot some test footage. Put the card in the card reader and it should import using FILE/IMPORT FROM CAMERA.

Also, if you camera shoots 60P, iMovie does not handle that well. 60i and 30P (also 50i and 25P) work best.

I just bought a bunch of Sandisk 16GB and 32GB class 10 cards on Black Friday for a really good price. I need to go shoot something.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2012 6:10 PM in response to acewriter

Open iMovie. Put the card in the reader, and an import window should appear automatically. If it does not, click FILE/IMPORT FROM CAMERA.

If that does not work, get a blank SDHC card and use the camera's menu to Format or Initialize the card. After that shoot some test footage. Put the card in the card reader and it should import using FILE/IMPORT FROM CAMERA.

Also, if you camera shoots 60P, iMovie does not handle that well. 60i and 30P (also 50i and 25P) work best.

I just bought a bunch of Sandisk 16GB and 32GB class 10 cards on Black Friday for a really good price. I need to go shoot something.

Can't transfer videos to iMovie from card reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.