Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 - Group Albums?

Ok, I'm already a little cranky about Apple removing the "Dark" option, but I can't seem to find the "Group Albums by Artist" setting.

I simply can't deal with this giant grid wall without something breaking it up. I tried to find a soundtrack, and I had to actively scan the entire grid of album art to find out where I was. In iTunes 10, you could group these by artist which meant you could quickly scan the list for "Soundtracks".

The same goes for movies. I have them tagged like, "Action", "Drama", etc...but now, it's just one giant grid.

If this feature has been removed, I guess it's back to iTunes 10 for me. :/

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:36 PM

14 replies

Nov 30, 2012 7:44 PM in response to crazylegsmurphy

crazylegsmurphy wrote:

Ok, I'm already a little cranky about Apple removing the "Dark" option, but I can't seem to find the "Group Albums by Artist" setting.

Simply select Artist across the top.

Album are sorted & grouped by Artist.

Artist are on the left. Scroll down to Soundtrack, albums on the right.

The same goes for movies. I have them tagged like, "Action", "Drama", etc...but now, it's just one giant grid.

Select Movies then Genre across the top.

The different genre are down the left side.

Select one and the movies in that genre are on the right side.

Nov 30, 2012 7:49 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris,

Sorry, I don't think you understand. In the old iTunes, when you displayed by artist, you would could also group them. This would mean you would see something like:

Blink 182

[] [] []

Blues Traveler

[] [] []

Now all you see is:

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

This is a very annoying way of trying to find something.

Also, I don't want to organize my movies by Genre. I tagged them with specific "artists" such as "action" so all the movies that fit that type, are organized like that. I also have some artists as "Batman" which is not a genre. The inabiliy to group means that it once again looks like:

Nov 30, 2012 8:11 PM in response to crazylegsmurphy

Sorry, I don't think you understand

Yes I do.

In the old iTunes, when you displayed by artist, you would could also group them. This would mean you would see something like:

Blink 182

[] [] []

Blues Traveler

[] [] []

Yeah, that's how I see Artists it now though albums are in a column down, not a row across..

And you can select a single artist in the far left column and see only those albums

User uploaded file

Now all you see is:

That's what I see when I select Albums, not Artists.

Also, I don't want to organize my movies by Genre. I tagged them with specific "artists" such as "action" so all the movies that fit that type, are organized like that

???

That's what a Genre is. A type of movie.

I select the Action genre and see all (and only) my Action movies.

If you wish to use your tags for other than what they are, you'll have to live with what there is or work around it.

Nov 30, 2012 8:18 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris,

I see what you're attempting, and I appreciate the effort. Unfortunately, what you're doing is justifying bad design. The screenshot you posted does show the albums grouped by artists, but in a way that really doesn't appeal to me.

You could do that same thing in iTunes 10.7 and the problem with it is that it's cluttered with songs, and this list along the side. When I am searching for music, I only need basic information.

1. Artist Name or Letter "B"

2. Album Art / Album

I can browse a list quickly and effectively this way. In iTunes 10.7 I had this ability, and now I don't. It means that it is no longer an effective way for me to view my music/movies. This is why I have downgraded to 10.7.

I understand what you're saying with movies, but please understand that the reason they were grouped that way was because while Batman is technically an action movie, I actually had it tagged as Batman, not Action because I wanted the four movies grouped independent of the other action movies.

I understand the concept of Genre, but this is not what I was going for. Again, in iTunes 10.7 this was not a problem, and now it's impossible.

For me iTunes 11 is not the right tool for the job, and untill they add back in features that allow me to display my media in a way that works for me (Grouping, Album Art Size), I'll have to stick with 10.7.

Nov 30, 2012 9:04 PM in response to crazylegsmurphy

I finally got iTunes 10.7 working, and all my albums, apps, books, movies, TV, and Tones back in place. I wanted to attach this screenshot just so everyone can see how much nicer the old organization method was.

If you're looking to go back to 10.7, it's not very difficult, so I recommend you give it a go.

User uploaded file

The lesson of the day is that when it comes to iTunes, be very, very cautious when upgrading. Apple has the best intentions, but I think that working in a bubble has it's risk. In terms of iTunes 11, I think they missed the mark.

Dec 1, 2012 1:51 AM in response to crazylegsmurphy

Same here.
Missing the option to show JUST the Albums (Cover, Artistname below) GROUPED and DIVIDED by Artist, just as crazylegsmurphy...

****, I DON'T want to see every song on every Album (that's what "Show Artist" does). Never used the dark theme, but I can understand if someone's missing it - but removing one of the best display-options (IMHO) is just silly...

Just don't let me start my rant about the new "Oh, the user has clicked on an album" Display...

Not only can't you see the CD-number anymore, nope, by squeezing all Titles of all CDs into three columns you cannot separate the tracks anymore. Let's play CD #13 then - okay... counting all #1 titles through until we reach 13... NOT the best of all ideas. 😠

User uploaded file

Dec 9, 2012 1:19 AM in response to Razalduria

Definitely agree about the "Group Albums by Artist" issue. That was the only way I ever used to browse my library, and now that they've taken it away it takes much, much longer to navigate.

I also totally agree about the issue regarding boxed sets with multiple CDs. I do NOT want to see hundreds of songs and have to figure out which songs are on which discs. I would ideally like a hierarchy setup, where I select an album and it displays the discs as "sub albums".

I would use this extensively, especially for soundtracks. For instance, I group all six Star Wars soundtracks under the general album title "Star Wars" then have Episode 1 as Disc 1 of 6, and so on. I would love to be able to select that "Star Wars" album, then see a group of sub albums and select one from there, instead of seeing all 120 odd songs from all six discs at once.

iTunes 11 - Group Albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.