Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

easy way to change back???please

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 8:58 PM

15 replies

Nov 30, 2012 9:43 PM in response to crazylegsmurphy

ok... btw thanks for this:):).. i didnt quite know how to uninstall but somebody said they didnt and just used pacifier and it worked so i tried it...i didnt get that 42...error but when i tried to start i tunes a window came up saying something like itunes couldnt be found because a new user (something or other) and it said somethin like a problem with the (it.l)??? ...so i got real nervous and just installed the new one again...ive got like 400 gb of music that took soooo long to get right...i dont have time machine:( but i do have a music alias folder on my desk top is that the same as backing it up?

Nov 30, 2012 9:49 PM in response to dbleacher4

Yes, if you move your iTunes folder from "Music" and put it on your desktop, I don't think iTunes will touch it.

All your media is in the "Music/iTunes/iTunes Media" folder. That is the folder you need to backup. It contains all your music, apps, podcasts, books, movies, TV, etc.

Once you've done that, you'll be good to go. I didn't backup my iTunes folder by the way and it's all still there...but be on the safe side.

Now.... That iTunes Library.itl is in your Music/iTunes/ directory. I deleted it and iTunes made a new one. The problem was the first few times I tried the method I found on these forums, I was getting errors. So, I deleted iTunes using AppZapper, then restarted my computer and used Pacifier to install it.

When using Pacifier, I clicked "Replace" for all the options. That seemed to do the trick and there were no errors.

Nov 30, 2012 10:00 PM in response to crazylegsmurphy

ok... i think the music alias is gonna be good enough... when i add things onto my itunes library they are automatically there sooo????...i have no appsmoviesbooks etc..so no worries there.. i actually got that appzapper and tried it but dont rememberr why i stopped it? but i did? (nervousness)... never restarted computer after tho???// i did hit replace for all those things tho...1 question tho- if you didnt back it up and u uninstalled it how and where was it saved? also 🙂 (sorry man) did you have the same problem? said u deleted th itl???

Nov 30, 2012 10:09 PM in response to dbleacher4

When I uninstalled iTunes 11, it didn't touch the iTunes folder with all my media (Music/iTunes/iTunes Media). Why? I dunno... 😀

I have everything backed up on external drives so I wasn't too concerned. All I ended up manually deleting was the

"Album Artwork" folder

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Music Library.xml

So basically, after using AppZapper, and manually deleting those files/folders (keeping my iTunes Media folder), my machine was totally iTunes 11 free.

Then, I restarted the computer, opened Pacifier and dragged the iTunes 10.7.dmg file into it. I click the "Administrator privilages" so it would allow the computer to overwrite stuff and whatnot.

I clicked "Continue" and "Replace" until it was fully installed.

Then, I started iTunes, and it was all good.

When I first tried things, I got an error. I think the computer restart was needed to clear stuff out. I would suggest restarting before and after deleting iTunes 11. Then when you're sure your computer is iTunes free, use Pacifier to install it (with admin box checked).

That should do the trick.

Nov 30, 2012 10:28 PM in response to crazylegsmurphy

ok..getting a little nervous about this the clock on here says 10 so i hope thats where your from cause where im at its 1 and id hate to think your on here that late for a stranger but thanks bud i appreciate it...giving you all those help stars and likes on this site ... seems like you get points or something hope it helps...so when you go to appzapper u dont just uninstall all of itunes ...u do them manually??? and why like artwork / music library?? keeping itunes media??? and also did u mean to say restarting your computer b4 and after (deleting) itunes?... thanks again,, hopefully last questions... ive gotta try this tho 🙂😟🙂😟

Nov 30, 2012 10:37 PM in response to dbleacher4

Nah,

I'm just organizing files and packing for a trip. 🙂

AppZapper should delete all those files, but I did them manually to be sure. iTunes has a bunch of files all over the operating system that I wouldn't want to track down, which is why I just let AppZapper do it's thing.

The iTunes artwork, and those other files will get replaced when iTunes is reinstalled. The reason I kept the iTunes Media folder is because that's the important one. I would drag that to your desktop to be sure. You can replace the one iTunes creates later.

The safest bet is taking your iTunes Media folder an putting it on an externa drive (should have that anyway for safety), but the next best thing it just putting it on your desktop.

Ya, I would restart the computer before and after deleting iTunes 11. Not sure if it helps, but it's probably better to make sure nothing is running before and after. The reason I think I had issues at first is because iTunes may still have been running in memory or something crazy.

Not a problem with the questions. I had a lot myself, but I just shrugged and went for it. Just make sure your iTunes Media folder is backed up. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to go back to dreaded iTunes 11, but I think this will work.

Nov 30, 2012 10:50 PM in response to crazylegsmurphy

ok thanks man...actually bought an external like a year ago and havent figured out how to format it yet...horrible (and lazy) with this kind of stuff....really wanted to back this stuff up for a while and now this is a wwake up call...i think i have the tools and info to do this so i think ill try to figure out the external this wknd, back it up &try this...thanks again there crazylegs ! have fun on your trip.........

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.