Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Official word on whether 3 TB drives will eventually support Boot Camp would be nice

I was about to buy a new iMac with a 3 TB drive, but then I learned that the 3 TB internal drive is not currently supported by Boot Camp.

It would be nice to get some official word on whether Boot Camp with a 3 TB drive will eventually be supported, or if an iMac with an internal 3 TB drive will be forever locked out of Boot Camp.

Boot Camp cannot install Windows to an external drive (which was a surprise to me, but this is in the official documentation), so there is currently no way to boot into Windows on an iMac with a 3 TB internal drive (although virtualization will still work).

Apparently this is a known issue that has to do with historical UEFI firmware issues and Windows not supporting large drives with MBR (master boot record). Additional discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3827724?start=0&tstart=0

The discussions started in March (2012) and it appears that there is no official indication as to whether this problem is likely to be addressed.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:55 AM

1 reply

Official word on whether 3 TB drives will eventually support Boot Camp would be nice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.