Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon 7D/5D mk3 to Final Cut Pro to Tv Broadcast Workflow

Hi guys I am recording a short music series for a local Tv station who currently work in PAL but next year start to work in HD.Each program consists of 26mins aprox.

I´m recording everything with a Canon 7D and 5D mk3 at 24fps and would like to know what´s the best format to convert for Final cut pro 6.0 ?

In the past I have converted before to Apple Pro Res 422,my problem is that files get too big and this time I´m working with multiclips and my computer will not handle a couple fo videos at one same time,especially when doing multiclips of 6 videos.

I had read somewhere someone suggested that converting to XDCAM HD 1080/24 35mb/s VBR would significally lower the video size and hence you can work better.

I have re converted to XDCAM and now I can do multiclips of 4 and work comfortably(lowering frame rate and resolution whilst editing).I have noticed that I get a widescreen with this codec which I´m fine with and quality looks very good onscreen too.

My main question is wether this will be Ok to submit later on for HD TV Broadcast ? and if so how should I output my video ? The Tv Station will want a computer file in Quicktime (.MOV).

Anyway,what are the other codecs recommended quality/final cut friendly to work with ?

Thanks

Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5 7GB

Graphics Card 256MB HD ATi RADEON 9650 PRO

Final Cut Pro 6.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:07 AM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2012 5:34 AM in response to kkita75

If you can work effeciently on your G5 with six streams of XDCAM, then why not?

kkita75 wrote:

My main question is wether this will be Ok to submit later on for HD TV Broadcast ? and if so how should I output my video ? The Tv Station will want a computer file in Quicktime (.MOV).

Good

Ask the station for more specifics about their specs; .mov covers a lot of possibilities. Then use Compressor to see whether you can match those specs. If your workaround leaves you short of their standards, explore hardware upgrades that can handle the higher data rates.

Good luck.

Russ

Canon 7D/5D mk3 to Final Cut Pro to Tv Broadcast Workflow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.