Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Parallels to migrate from PC to Mac - licensing issues? Can I pick and choose what I migrate?

I want to run Parallels on my new imac. I want to bring Windows 7 over from my old PC. Will it run or will I have problems with the license? It was originally and oem Vista that I upgraded to WIndows 7.

Also, I don't want to bring over all the old crap (unused programs, potential viruses, etc) . Can I bring over just the programs I want? Or, can I bring over just the operating system and then install the programs I want?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:03 AM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2012 9:50 AM in response to radman2020

OK, then do what they say.

A branded version of Windows will not run on another computer.

Licencing for a generic OEM version clearly only allows installing the OEM version on only one computer. You can not install an OEM version of Windows on more than one computer, even if you remove it from the first computer.

But my best advice is to install Windows and programs whenever transitioning to a new computer. Transfers of OS and programs typically do not go well and will cause you many problems.

Using Parallels to migrate from PC to Mac - licensing issues? Can I pick and choose what I migrate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.