Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic Downloads and Strange Error Message: "You can auto-download purchases on this computer with just one Apple ID every 90 days"

Hi gang-

Yesterday I noticed that iTunes on my iMac had not auto-downloaded several new songs that I had recently purchased on my iPhone. In iTunes Preferences, under Store -> Automatic Downloads, I always have Music selected so all songs purchased from any device using my Apple ID normally download automatically.

To troubleshoot this, I double-checked my Preferences and sure enough, Music was de-selected under Automatic Downloads. I then Selected it and clicked OK. Here's where it gets weird and I get this error message:

This computer is already associated with an Apple ID. You can auto-download purchases on this computer with just one Apple ID every 90 days. You cannot associate this computer with a different Apple ID for 84 days.

I read and re-read this message and none of it seems to apply to me. I have only one Apple ID. I am currently logged in with iTunes to that one Apple ID. All my iTunes Music ever has been purchased with that one Apple ID. I am not trying to associate this computer or any other with a different Apple ID.

I logged iTunes out and then back in again and tried all the above- but same error message.

So, as it is now, I am unable to turn on Automatic Downloads in iTunes.

Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Thanks!

Dave

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:26 AM

2 replies

Dec 3, 2012 9:28 AM in response to Dave_K.

Hey gang-

Okay, this gets more and more bizarre. I sent a support email to Apple and basically they said "...it seems that someone else associated your Mac with their Apple ID. That's the reason your purchases won't download."

Yikes! My wife and I live alone- and we have exactly one and only one Apple ID. Would somebody have needed physical access to my iMac to do that?

Support then said "You can view which devices or computers are currently associated, remove unused devices or computers, and see how long before they can be associated with a different Apple ID from the Account Information page in iTunes on your computer."

Okay- so I logged into My Account in iTunes. On the list of associated devices, my own iMac is NOT on that list. But I am logged in under the same Apple ID I've had for years on that iMac.

So my big question right now is...if my iMac (that I've owned for 5 years) has somehow been dis-associated from my Apple ID, how do I find out what Apple ID it is associated with?

Thanks gang for trying to help me unravel a mystery.

Dave

PS- Here's an Apple Tech article on iTunes associations, but it doesn't really go beyond what we've discussed above:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

Automatic Downloads and Strange Error Message: "You can auto-download purchases on this computer with just one Apple ID every 90 days"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.